Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Reply To: What do you want to get out of the Sean Mize Community?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything What do you want to get out of the Sean Mize Community? Reply To: What do you want to get out of the Sean Mize Community?

Susan Parnaby
Participant

One of the things you rarely hear about in the IM world is accessibility. My issue of text colour is a minor issue compared to the problems others have. The strange thing is one of the hardest web pages I can remember reading was created by someone who was deaf and blind. They used a variety of assistive technologies. It was hard because being blind they had no concept of white space. Everything was packed together with few if any gaps. There were no images and the text was not broken up by using text that look so different.

I know that on one of the Facebook groups where I am likely to find an audience includes at least one blind person. Again and again they ask people who post images to include a description of it in the post so that they can hear it read out to them.

I am not saying go all out and use the strict compliance rules that publically funded websites are forced to abide by. That would be too great a burden but there are some things that can be done that don’t put unnecessary obstacles in people’s paths. Things like be aware of colour contrasts for older folks and others who see colours differently to ourselves. Adding alt text as a way of helping those who use assistive readers rather than using it as an seo tactic. Making it easy to navigate round a site.

In other words, usability or accessibilty reviews would be useful.

“‘Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the LORD.” Leviticus 19:14

Susan

P.S. Is that the first scripture reference on this site?

God's Lily is "a voice for those frustrated by the slow progress towards a fair society where the needs of the weakest are met in a way that it strengthens them rather than weakens them further" . If that includes you then hop on over and have a look around. If you like what you see it would be a good idea to sign up to receive our blog broadcasts. Oh and you will get a couple of pdf files that explain the what and why behind the site when

1 user thanked author for this post.
Skip to toolbar