Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Reply To: Multiple Related Niches – One Website?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Multiple Related Niches – One Website? Reply To: Multiple Related Niches – One Website?

Bruce Hoag
Participant

Forgive me for saying so, but I think you’re looking at this the wrong way, Sue.

I’ve been in your shoes myself, and it’s taken me a long time to recognize what I’m going to tell you.

When you’re starting out, you need one website that focuses on one thing.

Now one thing is likely to have several facets to it, but the site and your business needs to have one central theme, in your case “improving the lives of kids.”

There are two reasons for this.

The first is that in order to make your business a success, you have to put all of your energies just one place. Sean talks about being laser-focused, and that’s what he means.

The problem with trying to do several things is more than just dividing your time between activities. It also divides your thoughts.

When you focus on one thing, your understanding deepens. If you’re trying to do more than one thing, at least at the beginning, you won’t be able to develop that depth; and let’s face it: It’s the depth of your understanding that interests your prospects.

The second reason is that your message has to be crystal clear to your prospects.

When they come to your site, it must be obvious to them what your central message is.

If you’re trying to do more than one thing, you’ll confuse them.

Most people won’t be able to articulate that confusion, and so it’s unlikely that you’ll ever figure it out on your own. (It may be why it took me so long.)

It’s worth mentioning that there are those who seem to have their hands in a lot of pies simultaneously; but you’ll find that in the beginning, they all started by doing one thing only.

I know that trying to do this can be extremely frustrating, especially when you can see the connections so clearly among your own interests.

One way to overcome this is to create a file. I like paper files. It’s easy to write a quick note with an idea on it, and then put it there. Later, when you come back to it, you’ll be able to consider its relevance “out of context” so to speak.

I did this when I wrote a book. I had ideas for all of the chapters, but I knew that I had to focus on the chapter in front of me. So I created a folder for each chapter, and every time I got an idea for a chapter that was different from the one I was working on, I put it in the folder for the chapter where I thought it was relevant. I knew that when I got there, I’d have a much clearer idea about what to do with it.

So have one website that focuses on improving the lives of kids, but instead of sub-niches or additional sites, “flesh-out” that site with different ways to do that.

Clarity of purpose directed at a single point is a powerful combination.

Bruce Hoag PhD
The Internet Marketing Psychologist
The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Skip to toolbar