Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Multiple Related Niches – One Website?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Multiple Related Niches – One Website?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sean Mize 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

My overall niche is improving the lives of kids, and I have 3 subniches. Should I have 1 site or 3?

• Author
    Replies

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Sue,

I would think that it would be better to have one website. Under that one website you can cater to your subniches by having different pages and categories. That way you are not fragmenting your time and efforts by trying to build three sites at the same time.

Hope that helps!

Kelly Conway
    Participant

Sue, I would suggest one site. Pour your heart into that one rather than spreading yourself thin keeping up with 3. Spend your hosting budget on great hosting for one site vs. “ok” hosting for three.

Later, you always could put up smaller specific sub-niche sites that could attract folks who are interested in each sub-niche to your main site. Over time, you may even find >3 sub-niche topics for which you can create small “landing page” and free-report sites that drive subscribers toward your main / portal site.

Susan Parnaby
    Participant

What do you mean by one website? It is possible to have more than one wordpress installation on one domain.

It is possible to set up a domain so that you have mysite.com as one wordpress installation and mysite.com/nicheOne as a second wordpress installation and mysite.com/nicheTwo as a third and so on. If you are clever you set them up as multisite installation so some things are done from one dashboard.

There are others who go the route of sub domains so the address for the first niche becomes nicheOne.mysite.com

You still have most of the disavantages of having multiple websites which leads to you doing some tasks once for each website so multiplying the time and effort needed to maintain your online presence. Yet you are only using one domain.

It depends on your technical abilty and the time and effort you are willing to put in to maintian and grow each site.

Susan

God's Lily is "a voice for those frustrated by the slow progress towards a fair society where the needs of the weakest are met in a way that it strengthens them rather than weakens them further" . If that includes you then hop on over and have a look around. If you like what you see it would be a good idea to sign up to receive our blog broadcasts. Oh and you will get a couple of pdf files that explain the what and why behind the site when

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Forgive me for saying so, but I think you’re looking at this the wrong way, Sue.

I’ve been in your shoes myself, and it’s taken me a long time to recognize what I’m going to tell you.

When you’re starting out, you need one website that focuses on one thing.

Now one thing is likely to have several facets to it, but the site and your business needs to have one central theme, in your case “improving the lives of kids.”

There are two reasons for this.

The first is that in order to make your business a success, you have to put all of your energies just one place. Sean talks about being laser-focused, and that’s what he means.

The problem with trying to do several things is more than just dividing your time between activities. It also divides your thoughts.

When you focus on one thing, your understanding deepens. If you’re trying to do more than one thing, at least at the beginning, you won’t be able to develop that depth; and let’s face it: It’s the depth of your understanding that interests your prospects.

The second reason is that your message has to be crystal clear to your prospects.

When they come to your site, it must be obvious to them what your central message is.

If you’re trying to do more than one thing, you’ll confuse them.

Most people won’t be able to articulate that confusion, and so it’s unlikely that you’ll ever figure it out on your own. (It may be why it took me so long.)

It’s worth mentioning that there are those who seem to have their hands in a lot of pies simultaneously; but you’ll find that in the beginning, they all started by doing one thing only.

I know that trying to do this can be extremely frustrating, especially when you can see the connections so clearly among your own interests.

One way to overcome this is to create a file. I like paper files. It’s easy to write a quick note with an idea on it, and then put it there. Later, when you come back to it, you’ll be able to consider its relevance “out of context” so to speak.

I did this when I wrote a book. I had ideas for all of the chapters, but I knew that I had to focus on the chapter in front of me. So I created a folder for each chapter, and every time I got an idea for a chapter that was different from the one I was working on, I put it in the folder for the chapter where I thought it was relevant. I knew that when I got there, I’d have a much clearer idea about what to do with it.

So have one website that focuses on improving the lives of kids, but instead of sub-niches or additional sites, “flesh-out” that site with different ways to do that.

Clarity of purpose directed at a single point is a powerful combination.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Do a matrix, Sue. Sean teaches it. If your several niches all end up being in that matrix … one site. If not, do as Bruce suggests and file those other ideas away until your first property and matrix are developed. That’s my two bits.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

How closely related are the 3 sub niches?

Are you seen as an expert in the overall niche, or just each of the 3?

If you are seen as an expert in each of the 3 sub niches but not the overall, I would create 3 – but do them one at a time, focus on one exclusively for 6 months, then once it’s profitable, add the next.

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar