Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

at last I have had a go

Home Page Forums Ask Anything at last I have had a go

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sean Mize 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Susan Parnaby
    Participant

I finally got round to sending out an invitation to folks to visit my website today. Over the years I had harvested 4 or 5 huge lists of email addresses from emails that had been sent to me. They came from people who had sent out newsletters to everyone on their contact list in such a way that all the contacts could gather each other’s addresses. I was not sure what I was going to do with them but I still gathered them just in case. Then I when I first got my android phone a while back it added all my facebook contacts and G+ contacts to its contact list.I was somewhat overwhelmed at the time but somehow all those contacts were also in a contact file on a Google account. I was able to download that as a csv file. I even found an old file of addresses from outlook from a time when I was just about to refresh and lose all the contacts in it. The end result was a huge file of contacts details.

I imported these lists in Mailchimp. I found that when I had a list of 500 or more that MailChimp would say that omnivore did not like it. Anyway I could not work out how to send one message to more than one list in such a way that if someone was on 2 lists they only got one message. So I exported them all again and then copied and pasted each exported list into one huge file with nearly 1800 email addresses. Rather than dealing with the duplicates myself, I let MailChimp take the strain of doing that. I used Excel to run queries like begin with a and begin with b then copied the result into a new file. I then ended up with a series of CSV files all formatted the way MailChimp likes. That MailChimp account now has 5 lists a to d, e to h, j to l, m to p and the rest. Doing it that way MailChimp dealt with the duplicate email addresses for me. Between those 5 lists there were around 1200 email addresses so there must have been hundreds of duplicates.

This morning I sent out a message to everyone on all those lists. It had dawned on me that one of the ways you can tell the difference between an email from a friend and a business email is that businesses use HTML rather than plain text. Yes, it is possible to use HTML and images in Outlook but it is not straightforward. I wrote a simple chatty email talking about Christmas and then suggesting that they visit a great website I had found over the holidays before wishing them a happy new year. Of course, it was my website. I even said that I liked it so much I had filled in the form and joined the movement. It was exactly what you would send a friend at this time of the year and being on a Saturday it looked even more like a friend’s email.

I was not surprised to find that nearly 20% of those addresses were removed after hard bounces. I had deleted a couple of addresses that were used by friends who could not receive messages in their grave. I received messages from a handful of autoresponders including so and so does not work here anymore. A couple of people asked who are you but I recognised their names, therefore, I was able to respond back to them saying do you remember when we did this together to reassure them I was not some kind of 2 headed monster.

I thought when I started this process that if 1% of those people actually signed up to join the movement then that would be a good result. It remains to be seen what the final result will be but at least I have had a go.

BTW if you want to have a look at where I sent them go to it is God’s Lily

God's Lily is "a voice for those frustrated by the slow progress towards a fair society where the needs of the weakest are met in a way that it strengthens them rather than weakens them further" . If that includes you then hop on over and have a look around. If you like what you see it would be a good idea to sign up to receive our blog broadcasts. Oh and you will get a couple of pdf files that explain the what and why behind the site when

• Author
    Replies

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

I am Curious. What were your results?

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Susan

I applaud you for taking this big step!

and now that you’ll have a clean list, you can start communicating with folks and re-building old relationships!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Jan Sandhouse Hurst
    Participant

Susan, congratulations! That is a big step toward success.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Susan

what kind of results have you had from this plan?

what have you learned from taking this action?

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar