Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Fear – What if…

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Fear – What if…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Joe Martin
    Participant

What would you do if you weren’t afraid?

• Author
    Replies

Jan Sandhouse Hurst
    Participant

Joe, I have a fear of heights — things like buildings, not airplanes or mountains. So for some time I forced myself into situations where I had to confront this fear. Probably the most extreme was an escalator between 2 buildings 40-something stories off the ground with nothing under it in earthquake-prone Japan. Every time I feel uncertain, I remember that I faced the fear and won! Makes it less frightening to try other things.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Powerful question, Joe. I’ve been working with 2 Timothy 1:7.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

We’re all afraid of one or more things.

And we should be.

Although our fears can get in the way, they can also protect us from harm.

You do ask an interesting, though common, question.

I’m going to answer it in a way that perhaps you’re not expecting.

I’ve learned that if there’s something that makes me feel anxious, and it’s legal, moral and ethical, and it’s consistent with something I’m trying to do in the business, then it’s probably something that I should do anyway.

And so, I turn into the wind so to speak, and force myself to do it.

The thing is that when we shy away from something that’s perfectly legitimate – that we know in our heart of hearts is the right thing to do – we teach our brain that this is something that should be avoided.

And in our minds, that thing gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

A good example is apologizing to someone.

The longer we put it off, the harder it gets.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

So much wisdom in your answer, Bruce!!! Thank you!!! I heard someone else say the same thing the other day, and it really struck me because I have been having some fear about what I should do, even though my gut keeps telling me to do the thing I fear.

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi Joe,

A lot of wisdom on this thread.

On a purely biological and physiological basis, not having fear would place us as humans in dire jeopardy.

Fear is intrinsic within the oldest part of our brains..our “Cave Dweller” brains, so to speak, and essentially is there to keep us alive, by telling us NOT to do anything foolhardy.

But this fear element in our brains also holds us back, unnecessarily, by keeping us within our own cozy little comfort zones. This is the problem that most of humanity has these days. Luckily most of us don’t have to run for our lives from man eating beasts anymore.

In our online ventures it can be the fear of appearing on video, or even “just” launching your first website. These smaller fears are false fears that we need to look deep into ourselves, and root out. For example: We must tell ourselves that publishing an online information product that fails, will not kill us, but provide valuable experience and feedback for our next attempt.

Only a few musings, off the top of my head, of course. But within everyday life there are thousands of “illogical” fears (spiders, dogs, flying etc etc). And only by meeting these activities head on, having a go, and then repeating the process again, and again, and again can we learn to overcome such illogical fears. The more you face down these fear laden impostors, the more you will grow and the bigger your comfort zone becomes:)

If I didn’t ever get afraid, maybe all my dreams would be underway by now! Honestly, I’d be doing exactly what I’m doing now, only I’d be so much farther along on my path than I am right now.

I think our fear is an obstacle and when we overcome it, our success is so much sweeter and more meaningful than it ever could be without it.

Fear lets us know that we’re alive and human. Robots don’t get afraid, but I don’t want to be a robot – do you?

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Bob Moore
    Participant

I think we’re all afraid of something. That’s a natural human emotion. Maybe it’s a fear of heights, snakes, public speaking, the dark, or whatever.

I think the important thing, especially in the realm of internet marketing, is not to be afraid of being successful. We may not admit it, but I think that’s the reason so many people have difficulty getting started.

To a certain extent, that is my fear. I want success, but it’s the unknown of what that will bring. Irrational? I guess.

Okay, to stop rambling and answer the question. . .if I wasn’t afraid, I’d go full-out campaigning and get my offers in front of as many people as possible by whatever means necessary.

Hey, now that I think of it, that sounds like a pretty good idea 🙂 I’ll get back to you on that.

Unlock the key to earning thousands per day. Leads, sales, and profits await. Click here.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

I would be much, much more focused each day!

Seriously we all have fear.

The question is, are we willing to ACCEPT the fear but move forward anyhow?

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Some while ago, there was a book written entitled Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway.

That pretty much sums it up.

If you go for comfort, you’ll only ever be average.

That’s why most people are.

It’s because they’re afraid to push outside their comfort zone.

If you want to be extraordinary, then get used to feeling some fear.

To look at this another way, recognize that when you feel afraid, that it’s possible that it’s because you’re doing the right thing.

It’s possible that you’re not, and you need to evaluate the facts as well as your motives to make sure that that’s not the case, but it’s also possible that you are; and you need to accept that, too.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Susan Parnaby
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

Fear is all too natural.

What is bravery? It is not the absence of fear; it’s going through with it any way!

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

When you start pushing the boundaries of comfort, Malik, then you’ll feel the fear that the rest of us know.

Bruce Hoag PhD

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar