Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

How Should You Evaluate a Potential Partner?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything How Should You Evaluate a Potential Partner?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

A new feature has been added.

We can now write a post that tells the world, well everyone in this forum anyway, that we’re looking for a partner to encourage us and quite possibly hold our feet to the fire.

I’ve posted a brief description of what I’m looking for.

The question is, how should you evaluate potential partners?

What should you look for?

Here are a few suggestions.

Look for someone who you believe will:

1. Understand what you’re trying to achieve.

None of us is familiar with every niche. And while there may be some overlap among some of them, others will be completely unrelated.

2. Understands you.

There’s a lot to be said for chemistry. There are some people who, when you first meet them, you feel like you’ve met an old friend; and there are others who you’ve known for years who still feel like strangers.

Choose someone that feels easy to talk to.

3. Recognize and challenge your faulty thinking.

On the one hand, we all want to be encouraged, to be told that everything will be all right. On the other, we don’t want to surround ourselves with people who are afraid to tell us what we might not want to hear.

It doesn’t have to be tough love necessarily, but there has to be honesty and trust between you.

4. Benefit from partnering with you.

Partnering is a special relationship. It’s a privilege as well as a responsibility.

A good fit is one where both of you can benefit one another equally.

5. Listen

It may be early days to discern this, but it’s really frustrating to give advice when asked, and then have the other person repeatedly tell you why he/she can’t/won’t do it.

I will challenge your suggestions usually because I see connections down the road that you may not. To me, that sort of discussion is for the sake of clarity; not resistance.

Have I covered everything?

What else should you consider when you evaluate a potential partner?

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

• Author
    Replies

Onofrio Fiorentino
    Participant

Wow Bruce, you’ve set up a detailed, robust list of criteria and characteristics that are very useful. I’ll be sure to refer to it once i’m ready to partner and look for partners!

The only 4 traits I would add are: 1) leadership ability, and… 2) a “people person” with great people skills.

It would also be nice to find people who have 3) great communication skills, including listening skills.

Oh, and 4) the ability to inspire others would be amazing as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Norf, one of the things you should know – and I’ve never seen this anywhere – is that the evidence of leadership is willing followers.

You’ll see all manner of information about how this person or that person is such a great leader; but if no one or relatively few are following voluntarily, then whatever that person is doing, it’s not leading.

Coercion isn’t leadership; neither is it when people are threatened with some enforceable penalty for failing to do so.

For the purposes of this group, I’m not sure what that means.

Views aren’t necessarily a valid measure. All you have to do is ask a question, and every time someone reads it, that counts as a view. But that doesn’t mean that that person is leading; only that some curiosity has been generated.

What for you would be evidence of leadership in this forum?

Bruce Hoag PhD

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Wow Bruce,

You really do put your thinking cap on for these discussions don’t you.

I think the argument made in point 3 is especially pertinent. We all need to be able to take constructive criticism. So that point bears repeating I think, I quote: “3. Recognize and challenge your faulty thinking.
    On the one hand, we all want to be encouraged, to be told that everything will be all right. On the other, we don’t want to surround ourselves with people who are afraid to tell us what we might not want to hear.”

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

One thing I might add is to not be too critical in finding a partner . . the one key you need is someone who is willing to take a little time, see what you are doing – and hold you accountable.

Combined with the Community itself for asking questions about things, and of course getting and finding help . . .

the partner doesn’t exist to meet your every need . .

but instead to be a listener, a seer (like a listener with with seeing eyes) and most importantly, be someone the two of you can check in together each day for accountability (5 mins)

one more thing . . .I know the context of hunting for business relationships online is social media places and free forums and you really have to weed through the frogs . .

Remember this: everyone here is paying just like you are, they want the same thing you do . . and if they are doing all that PLUS speaking up and saying, I want a partner too . . .

You might want to consider just taking it on faith, see how things work out, instead of being overly critical or have a huge list of must-haves for that person!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Thanks for the compliment, Leslie.

In a nutshell, I’m a thinker. It’s why I refer to myself as The Mindful Writer.

I put a lot of thought into my posts and comments.

You’ll also be able to tell when I’m tired. 😉

Bruce Hoag PhD

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar