Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

How to Get Customers without a List

Home Page Forums Ask Anything How to Get Customers without a List

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Among the most popular ways to get customers online is to build a list and market to those who are on it via a daily email.

This is not the only way to do it.

For example, I know that someone people email their LinkedIn connections and get business that way.

It could be that that approach is especially effective for only certain types of business.

I’m a writer, and I know of other writers who do this.

Have any of you built your business without a list, and if so, how did you do it?

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

• Author
    Replies

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Even if you initiate contact via a direct approach, Bruce, you still want a list of those efforts. You don’t have to email them daily, or even monthly, but it’s sure handy to have that Rolodex of contacts … that’s still a list.

To your question, attending events is an excellent way to meet prospects. For a writer, guest blogging is powerful. Anything you do to initiate conversation and build your brand is valuable.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback, Don.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

The kind of list I was referring to, Don, was one that consisted of subscribers.

I should have clarified that.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Bruce

think about it . . if someone does a broadcast of some kind at linked in or facebook to their contacts . . that’s really a list . . a list hosted at facebook or linkedin.

now, I get that what you “mean” is a subscriber list on an autoresponder format!

And sure, you can get customers when they just happen to land on your website . . .

but realistically, in this day and age, it’s very rare that someone buys the first time they come to your website . . .and without them getting on your list (either YOUR list in an autoresponder you control or by getting onto your facebook or linkedin “list of contacts”

then you miss out on so many, many opportunities to remind people to go to your website and become a subscriber . . .

I just believe very strongly that in today’s world, you really need to be able to contact people who are interested in you some other way than hoping they are somehow in your inbox . . . .

It’s so easy to build a list on facebook or linkedin . . .

but with the new widgets . . . . mailchimp and aweber make it very very easy to get people onto your “list”

you don’t even have to worry about emailing them everyday . . .

just email them if something big happens, like you write a post you want to share!

or you decide to run a sale on your copywriting!

or anything you want to share with people who are interested in you1!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Norma Allen
    Participant

Live events are awesome if you can get to them. I got started by attending conferences as an exhibitor and building up a list from the contacts I met at them. I know I need to more of this to find JV partners as well as potential clients.

Norma Esler

Inspiration for Your Best Year Ever!

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

I’ve never been able to build a list; no matter what I did.

And now I’m coming across writers who market directly to their connections on LinkedIn, for example.

I have 4300+ connections on LinkedIn that I’ve never done anything with.

Having a list and marketing to them makes a lot of sense, and I’m not denying it’s importance. I’m simply asking if there’s another way since I’ve been unable to build one.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Bruce,

you CAN build a list

you are selling yourself short by saying you can’t

when you do the things necessary to build a list, you will get a list

you’ve gotten subscribers before, that is a list

you have had a list

it was just a small list

to get to the next level, you grow the list bigger

but you CAN build a list

you just struggle with building a list like other people struggle with other things

but you CAN build a list, IF you do the steps to build a list

ok, if anyone else reads this and thinks I’m being tough on Bruce . .

ask yourself what I could say to you the same thing about . .

then commiserate with Bruce!
    Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

Commiserations are nice, but not necessary. LOL

But Sean’s comments are good to hear.

I need encouragement as much as anyone else.

It’s late. Wanted to be in bed 45 minutes ago, but I’ve been exhorted to write a daily email, even with a small list.

So guess what?

Bruce Hoag PhD

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar