Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Looking for WP technical help!

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Looking for WP technical help!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Diana Frame
    Participant

I am so frustrated! I have created a post with lots of images for my Christmas shopping sight (see post here.) It looks good in the visual editor however when I publish it some of the images come out huge. I have used some images via the site stripe on Amazon and some that I have uploaded myself. Mostly it seems to be images from site stripe that aren’t working properly but even when I try to edit them they’re still huge. I use the “medium” size and have even tried the small size via site stripe. It only seems to be doing this in one particular post. I am ready to pull my hair out!!! I thought it might be the theme but I tried activating another one and images were doing the same thing.

I have cleared my cache to make sure I’m seeing the changes. Nothing seems to be working!

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

• Author
    Replies

Susan Parnaby
    Participant

I have no idea why you are having so many problems but when had a look to see what you meant I noticed something else. There were some images that were not loading for me. They worked as links but the images were not displaying.

Are you sure that this is a WP problem? Could it be Amazon that is driving you crazy?

God's Lily is "a voice for those frustrated by the slow progress towards a fair society where the needs of the weakest are met in a way that it strengthens them rather than weakens them further" . If that includes you then hop on over and have a look around. If you like what you see it would be a good idea to sign up to receive our blog broadcasts. Oh and you will get a couple of pdf files that explain the what and why behind the site when

1 user thanked author for this post.

It may be the theme you are using that’s doing it, or WordPress itself. Best way to be sure: download each image from Amazon to your computer, resize to the same desired size, and upload to your site. Also double-check the size of the images in WordPress once they are uploaded. Absolute best method: upload to your server (in a folder like images/ so it they would all look like images/imagename.jpg in your FTP program), all at the desired size; then add a direct link to them through your site when WordPress gives the option to link to them or upload. I found some of my images were acting strange when I uploaded them directly, but then they were ok when I used that method.

I Use Reviews
    Where I Only Review Internet Marketing Products and Programs
    I Actually Use, Or Have Used
    Visit My YouTube Channel!
    Follow Me on Twitter @IUseReviews

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tina Fletcher
    Participant

best thing would be to download the images and resize them. If you are on a pc it is pretty simply open them in paint and then click on the resize button in the top bar and change the size to pixels (600- 800 px ) should sit nicely on your page. Just do a couple and see. Also make sure you save a jpeg over png as the size will be smaller.
    Another thing you can do is add a plugin called https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-smushit/ it will Compression and Optimization your images. Just use the free version no need to get pro version.
    Hope this helps 🙂

All things Digital
    For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
    For Services https://digitalmia.com/

3 users thanked author for this post.

Norma Allen
    Participant

Hi Diana,

You can change the size of your images right in the WordPress editor.

Just use the text editor instead of the visual editor. (Try not to let all that code intimidate you!) Each image has a tag around it that indicates its size, location, etc. The size part will look like this: width=”xxx” height=”xxx”

If you want all your images “medium sized.” Just change the width attribute to width=”300″ (or whatever looks good) and eliminate the height attribute altogether. WordPress will automatically change the height proportionately.

So, this… width=”xxx” height=”xxx”

becomes width=”300″

Or whatever number you choose. If you have already selected “medium” images, you can’t make them bigger without losing clarity. Just go back and choose the big images and use the code to make them smaller.

Preview your page as you go to ensure your sizes look good.

If you mess up and your pages look crazy, the top right box of your editor has a Revisions option that lets you go back to a previous version of your page. You can’t kill your site in the Post/Page editor.

If you can get past the idea of looking at all that code, this is the easiest way to get your images exactly the right size.

You can do it!

Norma Esler

Inspiration for Your Best Year Ever!

4 users thanked author for this post.

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

You’re right about that, Norma. I’d forgotten.

I don’t remember if you can reduce the size of the file.

Can you?

Bruce Hoag PhD
      The Internet Marketing Psychologist
      The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Norma Allen
      Participant

Bruce,

WordPress automatically creates and stores different sized files when you upload your images. That’s why you have the option for different sizes when you import your image into your post (full size, thumbnail, medium).

I’m not sure if it stores the resized image when you use code or if it just resizes “on the fly” as the images load.

I would guess the latter, because I think this is the same process it uses to resize featured images on posts and pages. I’d need to dig to find out for sure, though.

Either way, if it’s smaller, it’s smaller, in terms of bandwidth. That’s how I understand it.

Norma Esler

Inspiration for Your Best Year Ever!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Diana

were you able to get the help you needed here?

Thanks,

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great tips.

I’m certainly glad we have so many experienced WP users, and also people willing to share other helpful links.

I have favorited this thread for future reference, as I can get crazy just like Diana when I come up against a technical wall… and have often wasted whole days trying to sort out a gliche by trial and error.

This group will certainly be of massive help, to me, the next time I come up against some particularly, tricky technical barriers. plus it’s also a learning experience.

Donna Merrill
    Participant

Hi Diana,

All good advice here and I’m just going to add one thing.

Besides resizing your images, it’s a really good idea to compress them, especially since you are using so many of them.

Best, fastest way to compress that I know is to use a free tool called tinypng.com

just upload the image from you desktop (where it should be, for reasons Jennifer gave)…
    then compress and download.

The image SIZE remains the same as does the pixelation… it looks the same but is much much smaller.

This makes your site and pages load much faster, and greatly reduces your bandwidth.

Not a big deal for casual bloggers, maybe, but certain for an ecom style site it is.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

You can also compress them with any one of a number of WP plugins.

The free versions limit the number of pictures you can do in a month to something like 500 per month, which should be ample for most people.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

I’m seeing a real need for someone to step in and offer great help with wordpress . . the niche is wide open, tons of opportunity

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Another way to help you with this is to use a page builder.

There will be a widget for images, and you’ll be able to define the size of the box that the pictures go in so that they’ll be uniform.

Not all page builders are created equal, however. We use SiteOrigin at work. I don’t like it. The tutorials are pretty much a waste of time, too. The main limitation with the pictures is that they all have to be the same size.

I don’t think it matters in Beaver Builder.

In any case, a page builder will give you more control over the image sizes.

Bruce Hoag PhD

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar