Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Niche and positioning

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Niche and positioning

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Suzanne Sukhram 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Hello! I’m so excited to be here! 🙂

My question is this: I have an idea for a product that transcends my niche (homeschoolers) that would be useful for other parents as well. I know parents who could use this information soon, so should I develop it and worry about positioning it for homeschoolers later?

• Author
    Replies

Norma Allen
    Participant

Hi Suzanne.

I work in the homeschooling niche, too. (French as a Second Language Curriculum – http://nallenart.com – since 1995!) If you already have contacts there, why not build it roll it out to them first and get the bugs out before you go wide?

Just my first thoughts. Build it for a wider audience, but offer it first to HS’ers?

Nice to meet you!

Norma

Norma Esler

Inspiration for Your Best Year Ever!

Melody Jackson
    Participant

If there is a way you can tweak it for your current market and then expand it, that would be better — even if it takes more time up front — because you can use your existing client list.

If you start with a whole new niche where it doesn’t apply to home-schoolers, then you are basically starting a whole new business and it will require much more time.

On the other hand, if your product could apply to SOME home-school parents then you have some cross-over, and you can still leverage your current list.

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Hi Norma and Melody,

Nice to meet you!

Melody, I wouldn’t be starting with a whole new niche; it’s just that I do have some friends who could use the info and who I could probably use as a sounding board for the idea.

I don’t currently have a list, but I do have many homeschooling friends.

I don’t know if that information is helpful, but I thought I would include it to clarify. 😉

Robert Mason
    Participant

Suzanne, as the information is relevant to more than one niche, is it not possible to make it more generally available? If it is good content, which I feel sure it is, then it might be a shame to deprive some people of something of value to them.

Suzanne Sukhram
      Participant

Robert,

That is exactly what I am thinking. However the sales pages, etc. would likely be from my homeschooling site, so I am not sure if that would repel the non-homeschooling folks.

Leslie Leftley
      Participant

Hi Suzanne,

If I were you I would take your product idea and create a niche site around it for the majority non homeschoolers. You may need to do a little research and find a smaller “in need” niche within the majority of parents. But repositioning of a product or idea, to another hungry niche could, if done correctly, more than double the rewards you would receive purely from your homeschoolers.

Joe Martin
    Participant

I believe that focusing first on the niche you are currently building would be the wisest.

You can always expand later and likely with a better, more developed product that has been tweaked from customer feedback, etc. With the following you have currently, it sounds like a good test market to see if the product is viable.

Good luck! 🙂

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Depends on how advanced you are in your present niche, Suzanne. If you’re on top of it and have time … nothing wrong with diversity. If you still haven’t finished the first cake, though, it might not be a good time to start baking another.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Great, great feedback in this thread!

My 2 cents: just create it, name it, and don’t worry about what site it’s hosted on or who will buy it first.

Focus on what it teaches, not the market to whom you will sell it.

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

So many people these days talk about narrowing down your niche – it’s like a national obsession! I find Sean’s advice to be quite refreshing… especially when you’re just starting out. Simple is better. You can always make changes as you grow.

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Niche is another word for “audience.” I think Sean is saying to look to your audience and how you can serve them. Problems arise when I try to be all things to all people. I can’t spin that many plates.

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Sean, I like that idea, and it makes life a whole lot simpler. Thank you!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar