Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Question for those ready to sell their product

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Question for those ready to sell their product

This topic contains 28 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Jan Sandhouse Hurst 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hello Everybody,

Been dealing with computer issues, not the least of which is dealing with sudden mic issues that are keeping me from recording the first screencast for my member’s area. Frustrating!

Anyway, I wondered (Sean, and anyone else who is at this point) what platform you are using to sell your products.

Sean, if I am right you just put up a site and a Paypal button.

I’ve hesitated to do this because my membership being recurring, I’d be charged $20 a month. I could swing it, of course, but seems a needless expense if no one is pushing the buy button yet.

The last product I did was on Clickbank. I just looked at the process to submit a product and it immediately came back to me how frustrating of a process that was. Building the upsell funnels was the part that was difficult for me, I finally hired someone on Fiverr who helped me get it all sorted.

JVZoo/Warrior Plus seem more suited toward IM products. As my niche is insomnia, I looked at their products (on JV Zoo) and they don’t seem to have a very good track record of sales.

The thing that appeals to me about Clickbank is the potential of having the ready-made affiliates. But it sure seems like a headache. Oh, and I HATE that Clickbank does their little prom in the corner now. Last product I put up was before they started that.

So anyway, just wanted to ask others here and find out your take. I’m curious what everyone else is using/planning to use to sell your products? Thanks.

I Use Reviews
    Where I Only Review Internet Marketing Products and Programs
    I Actually Use, Or Have Used
    Visit My YouTube Channel!
    Follow Me on Twitter @IUseReviews

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Author
    Replies

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Sean will tell you that the platform is your list.

That’s how you came to buy products from him.

It’s why you’re in this forum.

The thing about using your own list is that you control it.

ClickBank controls theirs, and JVZoo controls theirs, as well.

There’s no telling when or what either of them, or anyone else for that matter, will do.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

2 users thanked author for this post.

Well just to clarify, yes, my main goal is to build my list from the start. Right now I have a list of 15 people – including me (LOL). These are people who found my site (through the YouTube videos I’ve been making, maybe), and joined on their own. So far I’ve been focusing on getting the rest of the funnel in place. But I do have a lead capture on my site and plan to definitely get those leads. I do see what you mean about the value of owning your list.

I Use Reviews

Tina Fletcher
    Participant

Hi Jennifer, Yes you can definitely do a Paypal button a think the main question is are you looking for affiliates. Which from you message above is part of your goal.
    So you have several options to get affiliates and then pay them you can use platforms like Clickbank, Jvzoo, Warrior Forum etc where they are the payment and processing platform as well as a way to connect with affiliates.
    You can also create you own affiliate area using other online platforms such as https://www.affiliatly.com and https://www.refersion.com/
    Or you can use wordpress plugins such as https://affiliatewp.com/ and https://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/wordpress-affiliate/ to name a few.

As you where looking for ready made affiliate then clickbank can be a good choice, not sure what you mean ‘little prom in the corner now’.

I am currently using https://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/wordpress-affiliate/ on a ecommerce site that I have that I am about to hand over to one of my daughters (I did the website affiliate and social media setup and started getting sales for it and now she is taking it over)

I am about to but up a new product on clickbank (have used previously but not in the last 6 months) so I can tell you how that will go by Monday 🙂

I will update this more after I have done the set up on how to and pros and cons 🙂

All things Digital
    For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
    For Services https://digitalmia.com/

3 users thanked author for this post.

Oh wow, thanks Tina! I hadn’t even realized the option to do an affiliate program through WordPress existed!

And yes, I will definitely be interested to hear how your Clickbank experience goes!! Any chance I can hire you to put mine up when you’re finished?! LOL…I’m sure there’s a good market for that, because from what I remember last time, it was a complete headache. And I did have to get some help!!

I Use Reviews

Tina Fletcher
      Participant

Yes I use them on a couple of website that didn’t suit clickbank or jvzoo. I will keep you updated on the clickbank experience and I am happy to help you 🙂

All things Digital
      For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
      For Services https://digitalmia.com/

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

If I understand you correctly you either have no list or just a few subscribers. Otherwise, even with a relatively small list of several hundred, you would have no need to launch on any platform, but your own.

But Clickbank is a good starting point for your particular niche, as long as you don’t become dependent upon them in the long term. The key is to build your own tribe of budding buyers/ membership subscribers.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the Clickbank Promo issue. Just ensure you redirect any traffic via your site (to gather names/emails) before they end up on the Clickbank affiliate product. (Scott Hogue, of our group, has practical experience about that tactic, so approach him and I am sure he will advise further).

You can then send out an email campaign to the names/emails you captured, and eventually break any dependency upon Cickbank.

Yes, you got me perfectly! I don’t mind eventually paying the fee for Paypal recurring billing…But only after I have the audience to justify it. It’s a good reminder to see Clickbank, or anything else, as only one means to an overall end.

Scott? Feel free to chime in… 🙂
      Yes, I can definitely use his good advice on the most efficient way to do that.

I Use Reviews

Julia Rotgers
    Participant

Right now I use thinkific.com. It’s easy to use and can be integrated with PayPal or Stripe, depending on your subscription level and a few autoresponder services. You can also use Zapier with them and start with a free account.

Have You Been Struggling, Thinking You Don't Have Enough Time To Build Your Business???
    What if "Not Having Enough Time" Was A Thing of The Past?

If You're Ready For a WHOLE NEW WAY of Thinking About Your "Available Time" Click
    ThisChangesTheGame.com and start finding the time you need to get your business off the ground, even if you time is limited.

JuliaRotgers.com

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

I create my products/memberships with Google classroom. It is free and you can have up to 1,000 students. With Google Classroom you can interact with your students and/or create accountability programs (homework, quizzes, and Tests)!

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

Mark Rhodes
      Participant

Malik,

I hadn’t bumped into Google Classroom before. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

All About Health And Healing

Yes, thanks so much…I haven’t even checked it out, but I already like this option!! LOL…Since Google is typically very easy to use. I will definitely look at what they have to offer!

I Use Reviews

Susan Parnaby
      Participant

I had look at Google Classroom and as a result, I realised that I could download the contacts on my android phone in csv format. These were addresses that had been imported from Facebook and Google+ I added them to a MailChimp account that has one working list that I have uploaded CSV files to.

I had already found 3 or 4 lists of old email addresses I had harvested. Most of them came from when people had been silly enough to send me a message and let me see the names of everyone else they had sent it to. I had all the email addresses of all the people on 2 courses I had taken plus a couple of people had sent the same message to 50+ people at once for a newsletter that were of interest to people who wear at least one of the same labels as my target audience. One of these was mixed in with the contents of my email address book from some time ago. I was amazed to find this resulted in 629 people being added to that list.

Once I added the addresses from my phone that list went up to 1159. I know that at least 2 people will not be able to read anything I send them as they have been promoted to glory. It is an old stone cold list although I know some people are still alive as they are related to me. I would be pleased with a response rate of 1%. It is on a separate account so that the high bounce and low open rates will not impact anything else.

My intention is to send a one-off invitation to visit my platform and sign up for the main list. No one has opted into the invitations only list so it has to be handled carefully. With a one of shot like this, they need to be sent to a welcoming place to encourage them to sign up. That is my next step.

God's Lily is "a voice for those frustrated by the slow progress towards a fair society where the needs of the weakest are met in a way that it strengthens them rather than weakens them further" . If that includes you then hop on over and have a look around. If you like what you see it would be a good idea to sign up to receive our blog broadcasts. Oh and you will get a couple of pdf files that explain the what and why behind the site when

Donna Merrill
      Participant

Google classroom… new to me, Malik.

I’d love to learn more.

Jan Sandhouse Hurst
      Participant

Malik, I hadn’t heard of Google classroom. Thank you for the suggestion!

Thanks so much for all the responses on this!! They definitely helped.

So, your responses gave me some clarity, as far as my end goal: Focus on capturing those leads, build the list of loyal “fans,” & direct them to products I can make on whichever platform I want. I knew that, but I guess I’m just caught up in putting too much stock into the ability of whatever platform I use to drive my leads, when the truth is, it’s up to my own efforts, as well, no matter what I use, right? 😉

But, I have to start somewhere. You’ve all given me some great ideas for that, many of which I haven’t heard of before, and that’s exactly what I needed – options! I will definitely be checking them out. Thanks so much, everyone!!

I Use Reviews

Leslie Leftley
      Participant

Just keep in mind Jennifer,

As long as the platform you choose is congruent with your product/service that is its sole purpose.

It’s all about YOUR message getting heard above the noise of “same old, same old” solutions. Be different, position your offer well (i.e. approach from a new angle) and help solve their problems. All the bells and whistles (platforms etc) are secondary to you and what you offer.

Check on the your most successful rivals in your category, dismember what they do. Take out the best parts and do them better!!

e.g. Study a long, informative, complex post by a successful rival, and turn it into a cheat sheet. Perhaps even offer it as a lead magnet. You can learn and increase your own knowledge exponentially as you do your research. And then pass it onto your subscribers. They will love you for simplifying things for them. They will trust you, stay loyal and be happy to purchase from you.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Jennifer

If you are looking to have recurring payments and they automatically get folks to their product, you need some kind of shopping cart.

I use a number of companies for different products.

Some of the membership software companies have easy stripe and paypal integration . . . memberpress is really easy to use.

this is a pretty comprehensive list (ignore the date, the list hasn’t changed much for this year):

The Best WordPress Membership Plugin of 2015

Or look into braintree or even samcart . . .

all of those solutions should be in the $20 a month, range though . . and some of the ones I use are in the $100 – $300 a month range!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

4 users thanked author for this post.

Norma Allen
    Participant

Shopping Carts

I’ve had some experience with a few different shopping carts and can answer questions about:

Ecwid (aff. link), which is a cart that allows buyers to add hard copies and/or downloadable items to their cart. You build your shop at Ecwid and put it on your site(s) with a bit of code. There is a free option and monthly fee, depending upon how many products your have. I use it at Nallenart.

Ejunkie works well, but it’s been a few years since I used it.

I’ve also used WooCommerce for WordPress – easy and free, but you need to buy addons to integrate autoresponders, etc.

I’ve had some success selling products through JVZoo as a product creator and as an affiliate, but haven’t really used Clickbank.

I just bought ThriveCart (one time fee), which does a great job on sales funnels, does recurring billing by integrating with membership sites, works with autoresponders, and has a built in affiliate program for your products. I am gradually switching everything over to ThriveCart. It doesn’t allow buyers to add multiple items to a shopping cart, though.

I second Sean’s recommendation about Chris Lema. His membership site review is awesome! He really covers everything and is very knowledgeable.

Norma Esler

Inspiration for Your Best Year Ever!

Donna Merrill
    Participant

If you don’t want to deal with shopping carts, affiliate software, checkout pages, etc… the simply solution (i think) is to publish your membership offer on JV Zoo or Clickbank (a new one I haven’t tried but looks good, very similar to zoo is Jv Share).

The advantage… they do all of the above for you. Yes, they take a % but Paypal and Stripe do, too, so I think dollar for dollar you’re best to let an affiliate platform handle all the tech stuff and take their small cut of the action.

You will need a membership site plugin, though, or if you want really, really simple… just deliver your incremental lessons via email + private links to videos, html pages etc. Then, you don’t even need a membership “site.”

You’ll have to fight for affiliates no matter what way you go, or you do your own direct selling. There are many ways.

Donna,
      Thanks! Yes, I used Clickbank last time around because the built-in affiliates appealed to me. And indeed, I did see lots of affiliates (or at least a few, making several efforts) blogging, etc, about my product, in hopes of getting a commission. It’s just that it was SUCH a pain to set up the PitchPlus upsells!! That’s the part that kind of scares me to do it again. Otherwise, it would probably be my first choice! But it’s probably easily enough done by hiring someone on Fiverr to save me the hassle!!

I Use Reviews

Dana Cassell
    Participant

I’ve been using MemberSonic Pro with membership sales via JVZoo and payments via PayPal or Stripe for several years now. All were as easy to set up as technology allows; no major issues. MS Pro is reasonably priced and well-supported with an active FB group for added user support. Other than purchasing MS Pro and ongoing hosting, the JVZoo, PayPal, and Stripe fees only occur with a sale, and they are all integrated through MS Pro. I added Stripe because a number of my members simply refuse to use PayPal – even though they can use their credit cards without joining PayPal.

Need anything written or edited?
    Writers-Editors Network
    is the place to go for editorial help from professional writers and editors

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

One advantage to using a membership site to deliver everything, if it integrates your payment system, is that it’s all in one place.

One challenge I see in this market – and I’ve fallen into it as well, is choosing a cart, using it for awhile, then choosing something else that is better, using it for awhile, then choosing something better . . and on and on.

What happens is that 10 years down the road you have 10 carts, and products all over the place . . .

Unless there is a compelling, really strong, compelling reason to leave or change – not just a single hot feature . .

I advise building up on one platform as much as possible.

Of course, that’s not one size fits all – if you are losing sales, or the payment processing isn’t robust, or business-threatening issues like that are happening . .

Then of course you would make a change!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

4 users thanked author for this post.

Sean,
      That’s exactly what I want to avoid! That’s why I am really trying to research my options.
      That said…I don’t want to get too afraid of making the wrong choice – to the point that I never get it launched! For that reason, I’m trying to be cautious, but not go overboard on the research! (There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere, right?)

I Use Reviews

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

I’m kinda in the same boat as you, Jen. Don’t want to make the wrong choice.

I did choose one combination, but then switched autoresponders; and so now I have to go back and fix everything.

That said, I’m planning to pull the product for the time being.

The thing is that no shopping cart or payment option will be perfect. Even the most expensive options have problems, not least is their cost.

What I suggest is that you find the two or three autoresponders you like the most, the payment gateways you like the most, and the shopping carts (if you’re going to use one) that you like the most. List the pros and cons of the contenders.

Then decide on the combination that gives you the lesser of evils, and then see if you can connect them.

More and more, the good ones are learning to play well together.

Bruce Hoag PhD
      The Internet Marketing Psychologist
      The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar