Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

What is your daily routine?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything What is your daily routine?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

The most successful people have a daily routine.

The rest drift.

I think that we could all benefit by seeing the routines of each other.

I’ll start.

Bear in mind that this is the ideal, and that the hardest thing to do is to get to bed on time.

5:15 am to 8:15 am Bkfst/QT

8:15-ish to 10:40 Write / marketing

10:40 to 11:00 Get ready for day job

11:00 to 5:00 pm Day job

5 pm to 8:30 pm PreneurPal, email, Facebook, laundry sometimes, shopping sometimes, exercise sometimes.

8:30 to 9:15 Relax / read

9:15-ish Bed

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

• Author
    Replies

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi Bruce,

I now the importance of a daily routine for an entrepreneur. At present I get up late, but tend to go to bed late also. But to my shame I don’t really have a routine, set out, for my online business activity. The daily chores I do around the house are all pre-planned and sorted. But there is no set plan, yet!, for my online business.

I am hoping that PreneurPal and all you good people out there, will help me to shape up and design a disciplined approach to making my online business ideas a success.

Bob Moore
    Participant

4:45 — Get up (for clarification, that’s AM not PM)
    5:00 — Shave
    5:15 — Coffee/ check email
    5:30 — Shower
    5:50 — Pack up, prepare lunches for me and the wife
    6:30 — Drive to work (we both work at the same school; it’s awesome. The running joke is that I’m the boss at work, and she’s the boss at home. Truer words were never spoken.)
    7:30-2:00 — Teach my butt off
    2:15-ish — Come home
    3:00 — Take our two four-legged daughters for a walk
    3:30-6:15-ish — Total focus on my business
    6:30 — Dinner
    7:00 — Hunker down and watch some TV and grade some papers
    10:30-ish or 11:00-ish — Bed
    Do it all over the next day

Oh yeah, and lest I forget, there’s some wine drinking time between 5:00 and bed (the wife and I love wine). I guess we all have to have some kind of vice.

Cripes. . .I didn’t realize I did that much during the course of a day 🙂

Unlock the key to earning thousands per day. Leads, sales, and profits await. Click here.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Leslie, the first thing you need to do is to assess, honestly, when you are at your best; when you are physically and mentally “in the zone” or able to get into it the easiest. In other words, the period in the day when you get the most mental work done is the shortest time.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Leslie Leftley
      Participant

Great advice as usual Bruce,

Now I just need to get to it!!

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Bob, you’re funny. Love the bit about who’s the boss where and when.

You can tell by my picture how I save time. Life’s too short to shave. LOL

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I can see already that one of the benefits of this exercise will be to show people that they don’t need copious amounts of time to work on their business.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

I feel like someone just wrote this for me 🙂

Wake up

Quiet Time

Reflection Time

Strategic Business Time (Analog, this is thinking with no devices, then paper to document thoughts (sometimes)

Take action and implement what I thought about in the previous session Time

PreneurPal Time

Any other tidbits that need to happen

Dog walk time (3-5 miles)

Free time

Note there’s no time beside each . . . I generally do each in that order, the dog sometimes demands a walk earlier, so she slots in earlier.

But no time.

Each takes as long as it does, then move to the next.

Key: My time is not defined by an inbox, a social media account (or the inherent feeling of responsibility to reply to social media or emails), instead, I set my day based on what I’ve determined is important and either: a) changes someone’s life b) changes many lives or c) moves my business along (and my business has as it’s primary goal in everything I do, that of changing lives)

So everything in my business is dictated by making those 3 things happen (and of course having the wisdom to charge when appropriate 🙂 ))

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Sean,
      Love how your routine is structured, but not down to the hour or minute. It seems like it would keep you on focus without making it so restrictive you set yourself up for failure!

I Use Reviews
      Where I Only Review Internet Marketing Products and Programs
      I Actually Use, Or Have Used
      Visit My YouTube Channel!
      Follow Me on Twitter @IUseReviews

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

This is the best way to do it, in my opinion, Jen.

Stuff happens, and some things take longer or even less time than you planned.

I’ve noticed that if I schedule times, that they can actually interfere with work. That’s because I’m distracted by what time it is.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that if I set precise times, I tend to overestimate how much I can get done, especially on Saturdays. And so what happens is that things I added almost as an afterthought suddenly take on huge importance. And when that happens, the important stuff gets put off.

Lately, I’ve been setting an alarm on my phone, and then turning off the screen.

That has helped.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Limited time constraint is one of the things I love most about working on my own. I have clients and deadlines, but don’t need to punch a clock to get it done.

There are several actions I take daily that help keep me on track.

– early to rise (before 5, most days)
    – Do The DEEP (reminds me of who I am and what I’m doing – includes prayer, meditation, and Bible study
    – eat for strength and not for pleasure
    – get to the gym or take a walk/jog
    – catch time with my family and be present
    – keep client work caught up – try to deliver more than I’m paid for
    – study to learn – attend live Sean sessions, read, take courses
    – spend time weekly with mentors and attend Church services
    – always ask … is this crummy time or crucial time?
    – don’t forget to go fishing (take a break, have fun, relax)

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark Rhodes
      Participant

Don, you bring up fond memories of Three Creeks Lake, which I believe is close to you.

Mark

All About Health And Healing

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

When I can give up the day job, Sean, then my day will look a little different.

I just know about how much time I need to spend on things and when I flame-out.

So ideally it would be:

Get up about 5:15-ish.

Review work that needs to be done (I usually plan at the end of the day before) 8.30-ish

Work / Write until about 2:30 pm

Exercise (usually cycling indoors or outdoors) / shower until 5 pm

Light supper

Admin / email / marketing

Read

Bed most nights by 9.30 pm

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Bruce

that’s a good looking schedule!

One thing I’ve found is critical to building a successful business . . is thinking time.

Perry Marshall has a daily analog think time from 5 mins to 1 hour or so each day.

Richard Koch has a daily think time (he does it on his 10-20 mile bike rides after his hour or so of work in the morning.

Thinking is critical to this business . . .and thinking can’t be done well with a digital device or phone in hand or nearby.

This thinking time to which I refer is time totally allowing your mind to just think.

The first few sessions are rough.

but after a month of an hour a day of just thinking . . you begin to get clarity!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

I don’t know how anyone can cycle and think about anything else except cycling.

There’s cadence, gears, terrain, and sometimes cars to think about.

And research has shown that those who concentrate on their exercise while they do it benefit from it more than those who do it mindlessly or while thinking about something else.

That said, Richard Koch looks to be a lot fitter than me. LOL

Bruce Hoag PhD

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Thinking autonomously is not a habit that I’ve used for a long time.

I had it when I was writing a book and working on the PhD, but now I only do my deepest thinking when someone asks me a question.

The better the question; the deeper the thoughts. 😉

Bruce Hoag PhD

Donna Merrill
    Participant

I have a lot to learn, here 🙁

I still tend to work from immediacy rather than forethought.

Wake up late but also work late… that’s my best time.

everyone tells me it’s wrong, but it’s been that way my whole life.

Learn learn modify… sigh

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

Donna, if what you do works for you, then don’t change it.

But, if you think that you could be more productive, then start by reading this book: The Power of Full Engagement, by Jim Loehr. (Sean put me onto this book.)

Bruce Hoag PhD

My routine is all over the map, but it does have some themes to it.

6:30: Wake up, drink coffee, get my daughter to school.

7:20: Come home. Work out if I am disciplined enough, before I lose the desire altogether. Drink more coffee, read emails.

8:00: Usually focused time on the computer.

I set my own schedule, so I can see clients in my “day job” anywhere as early as 9 or 10, and as late as 9 at night.
    So from 9-2:00, I’m usually working on the computer, unless I have sessions with people. This is my most productive time of the day, as far as working on my online stuff – and sometimes my day job, too 😀

2:00: Go pick my daughter up from school. It’s our little thing, where she gets my undivided attention. We’ll discuss how her day went, maybe go get some food.

4-? – Back on the computer – when I’m not out meeting with clients. (Note, my daughter is a senior in high school, so she is often gone, or has her own friends over, or doing her own homework. If one of my other [grown] kids comes over, or she or they need or want my undivided attention sometime between these hours, this is family time.)

When I’m home, I’m not as productive during this time, but I will still try to work on things. And/or, this is the time that I do “lighter” activities online, like checking in on PreneurPal 🙂

I’m usually in bed by 10. I rarely stay up later than that, although sometimes I am not tired until 11 or later.

I Use Reviews

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

That schedule looks pretty good, Jen.

One suggestion, if I may. I read recently that if you put out your exercise clothes the night before, then when you get up in the morning, they’re staring you in the face.

That might be enough to make you want to do it.

There have been days when I’ve put on my cycling socks. Unfortunately, that’s sometimes as close as I got. 😉

Bruce Hoag PhD

2 users thanked author for this post.

I hadn’t thought about that, but that is good thinking. I usually set out or at least choose tomorrow’s outfit for work the night before…so it makes perfect sense to have the workout clothes there too..set out someplace where I’ll see them first, before I even think about the work clothes!

I Use Reviews

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Some days I just let the day flow.

today: awake at 6:40

Walk dog from 7:20 to 8:20

Breakfast

9-10 forum, email, fight fires, help clients

10-12 consulting clients

perhaps this afternoon I take off 🙂

Sean

Sean

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

The last several days have had to flow.

I moved about a month ago, but only got Internet yesterday.

So there was getting used to that.

It was really quiet. No music, except in the office.

I’ve been home most of this week. There’s too much snow and ice on the ground to travel. I’m expecting to be here for the rest of the week, too.

But for the most part, have gotten into the habit of going to bed earlier and being more disciplined in the mornings. Need to because the commute is now 40 minutes, instead of five. 😉

Bruce Hoag PhD

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar