Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

What Issues Have You Had with WordPress &/or your Website?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything What Issues Have You Had with WordPress &/or your Website?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Julie Ruiz
    Participant

Hi everyone,

The niche I have chosen is WordPress and building and maintaining a website. Since we’re working on Internet Marketing here, we should all have a website, if not a few. In an effort to focus of what people need, I am hoping you guys will help me and share with me some of your trials, tribulations, and outright hated things with building and maintaining your website(s). My ultimate end goal is to have a system of trainings that will allow a non-techie person/business to build and maintain their own website and/or fire their current web master if they have one.
    Things like
    WordPress
    selecting and navigating their hosting
    layouts
    how to chose/evaluate themes and plug ins
    colors and color combos
    functionality – simple or extensive (Ever go to log in somewhere and wonder why the developer didn’t put the cursor in the text box to type in your login? Why you actually have to click the login name text box? Or when you tab between fields to fill out a form the tabs do not go in order (i.e. first name, address, phone number, last name, zip code, city)
    anything else you can think of?

Also, what kind of teachings would work best for you in this situation?
    video
    quick start guide (screenshots or later) with more extensive info toward the end
    check lists
    PDFs
    combo of the above?

Thanks in advance,
    Julie

• Author
    Replies

Tina Fletcher
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.

Julie Ruiz
      Participant
      This reply has been set as private.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

There’s a web site – can’t think what it’s called right now – that lets you test the speed of your site load.

It then tells you all the problems that you have and how to fix them.

Common problems are things to do with combining CSS, when the JS loads, and how often the site is accessed.

For a techie, fixing these things is a cakewalk.

For a non-techie, like me, they’re a nightmare. I have no idea what any of that means or what to do about it.

As Google has started to stress the speed of a site more, this kind of things has become an issue.

Guidance on how a non-techie can solve this without hiring a techie would be extremely helpful.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

1 user thanked author for this post.

Julie Ruiz
    Participant

Thank you Bruce! That is very helpful. I’ll admit, I haven’t a clue for now, but I will add it to my list.
    If you find the name of the site, I would love to investigate and get a better understanding.

Not sure if you heard, but internet neutrality vanished a few days ago. (Internet neutrality made it a law that the speed of internet traffic had to be the same for everyone. So Jon Q. Public’s traffic traveled the internet at the same speed as Sony, or Disney, etc. Not based on money, but just being fair!) It won’t be immediate, but I wonder what that will mean for us little guys down the road.

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

Hi Julie.

It’s called Pingdom, though I know that there are others that are also free, but more comprehensive.

I knew about the change in net neutrality, but in the UK (where I live for now), there have always been tiers for speed. Some get various speeds on broadband, and only a relative few get fiber.

Recently, a law was passed about the speeds advertised. The “up to” speeds far exceed what actually happens.

Where I live right now, I get 5-6 MBps download on a good day and < 1 MBps upload. I’ve seen it around zero for both.

I’m hoping to move in February. In that location, there are a number of possibilities. “Up to 17 MBps, up to 56 MBps, up to 76 MBps (fiber).” I’m planning to go for the middle tier. Even if it turned out to be only half right, it would be a 500% improvement. LOL

Bruce Hoag PhD
      The Internet Marketing Psychologist
      The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar