Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Autoresponder charges

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Autoresponder charges

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Dana Cassell 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Willie Armit
    Participant

What do the members feel about the outrageous charges that autoresponder companies make?
    These charges that the main autoresponders make are not doable if like me you’re struggling to make money online.

I left AWeber around 6/7 months ago after the list I had of around 4000 was becoming poor at purchasing even although I was emailing them every day and being responsive thru good email marketing and using tactics that are well used.
    The monthly charge AWeber was making was just to much for me!

I now use a purchased autoresponder company that have no overheads, so I feel good at the moment about the monthly savings I’m making.

So, what do the members think about the charges that autoresponder companies make and have they done anything about it?

Willie Armit

• Author
    Replies

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I think infusion soft wanted $1,000 minimum to set me up, just to basically open an account.

That may work for the ongoing businesses, but not for my niece working on her couch.

I know they offer a lot of services, but I laughed at them. I couldn’t help it.

So you want me to spend $1,000 to be able to start paying you…..?

I think I started on Get Response for $15 a month. Sean suggested it because I was having trouble with the others I had tried.
    They are pretty good on helping you.

I just do the basics with them, but they do squeeze pages and have extras like webinars now.

Another reason to make sure your list is a paying list or you will be paying to keep it in your account!

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

I switched to MailerLite recently.

It’s free for up to 1000 subscribers with unlimited messages, and then half the cost of AWeber after that.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

1 user thanked author for this post.

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

MailChimp is free for up to 2,000 subscribers. They may not have all the bells and whistles, although they are adding a lot of new features lately, it seems, but because it is free, it’s another good place to start.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

I tried MailChimp. Far too technical for me.

And their free tech support runs out after 30 days.

With MailerLite, you full tech support from the beginning.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

MailChimp IS technical. I will check MailerLite out, Bruce. Thanks for the heads up.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Mail chimp kept saying I had the wrong password, sometimes I could get in with it, sometimes not.

I gave up on them.

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Another really annoying thing about MailChimp is that their terminology felt like the opposite of what it was intended to be.

Can’t remember (and don’t want to) any examples, but I remember feeling that everything was backwards.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

I also use getresponse. Pretty well priced easier to use than Aweber and better support.

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

Dana Cassell
    Participant

This may no longer be true, but awhile back I read that the free version of MailChimp does not allow affiliate offers. You can get away with it for awhile, but eventually they will stop you from mailing out free – would be worth checking to see if it still applies.

Need anything written or edited?
    Writers-Editors Network
    is the place to go for editorial help from professional writers and editors

Julia Rotgers
      Participant

This may no longer be true, but awhile back I read that the free version of MailChimp does not allow affiliate offers. You can get away with it for awhile, but eventually they will stop you from mailing out free – would be worth checking to see if it still applies.

Dana,

A little off topic but…
      There are actually many autoresponder services that do not encourage affiliate offers, even if they don’t ban you outright.
      It’s because they are often riddled with purchased lists and spam sends.

This is one of the reasons MailChimp (until recently) made it so difficult to build a single opt-in list.

Keeping your list clean is of course the best way to stay out of trouble and make sure what you offer your subscribers is what they receive.

As for autoresponder charges, I use AWeber because I’m most familiar with them and … you know … change is hard 🙂
      Comparing one to service to another is more an offering of service and what I need than the price.

I also want something I can stay with for the long haul and not have to start over.

That being said, I do back up my list info regularly so I can move if I need to.

Have You Been Struggling, Thinking You Don't Have Enough Time To Build Your Business???
      What if "Not Having Enough Time" Was A Thing of The Past?

If You're Ready For a WHOLE NEW WAY of Thinking About Your "Available Time" Click
      ThisChangesTheGame.com and start finding the time you need to get your business off the ground, even if you time is limited.

JuliaRotgers.com

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

If you’re a techy, then there are better ARs out there than MailChimp.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Tina Fletcher
    Participant

I use several and find something good and bad about each and everyone. I am currently exploring Sendlane again (started using if a few years ago, when it was new) but there are heaps of new components that I am now learning. So far it is really showing itself to be a great one for internet marketers and reasonably prices as well.
    There are a few plugin out there that allow you to create your own autoresponder such as one by Brett Rutecky called myMailIt (still in beta testing) so should be interesting if it is worth hosting your own or simply to complicated.

All things Digital
    For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
    For Services https://digitalmia.com/

Melody Wilhelm
    Participant

I used Aweber about 5 years ago when I was doing a newsletter for a dog daycare. I never could get a template to work well, so I ended up just sending it as a PDF. I don’t want to do that again. Do the others have simple, easy-to-use templates?

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

I wrote a monthly newsletter for nearly four years and distributed it through them. (This was a few years ago, so things have changed there.)

I think I called their tech support and explained how I wanted my newsletter to look.

They told me to use a template, and then helped me to create one.

If you’re still using AWeber, then I suggest you call their tech support and have a similar conversation.

I always found them to be extremely helpful.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Well, I’m obviously an outlier, but I’ve tried Aweber, GetResponse, Sendlane, and Mailchimp, and I prefer Mailchimp.

Sendlane, GetResponse and Aweber are all reasonable (although let’s face it, when you’re struggling, even that extra $15-19 can be needed for other causes).

But each of them bugged me for 2 issues: How they operated, as well as learning about their deliverability rates (esp Aweber/SendLane).

Also, I know Sendlane is supposed to be marketer-friendly, but I just found it unnecessarily confusing…LOL.

So I thought I would give the free MailChimp a try.

I think it’s actually much easier!

And as a bonus, I save myself that monthly fee until my business really starts to justify paying for it.

I Use Reviews
    Where I Only Review Internet Marketing Products and Programs
    I Actually Use, Or Have Used
    Visit My YouTube Channel!
    Follow Me on Twitter @IUseReviews

Dana Cassell
    Participant

My list is small so Aweber fees are not yet prohibitive. I have considered others that promise “lifetime” fees or lower fees for larger lists, but then I’ll need support, which reminds me why I really like Aweber. This past week I needed to do something for my Black Friday mailing that I hadn’t done since last year, so naturally forgot how to do it. One phone call and the friendly, helpful support guy not even told me how to do it, but went to my account area while I did the same on my computer and walked me through it. Hard to find that kind of support today. Then a week or so ago, they did a short teaching webinar on a new service available to everyone (no need to upgrade or anything), and I asked a question about my list during the session. The presenter addressed my question. I was surprised several days later when he emailed me with further information he had tracked down after the webinar. They are also adding new features right along to keep pace with the more expensive providers. I won’t say I’d never leave them if cost became a game-changer, but I feel I do get my money’s worth.

Writers-Editors Network

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

I used AWeber for a long time, but I never earned enough to make it seem worthwhile.

I’ve also had a number of people tell me that they’re expensive for what they do compared to other ARs.

MailerLite isn’t perfect, but until I get 1000 subscribers, it’s free. And then after that, their fees are half of what AWeber is.

There is so much that AWeber does that I’ll never need that it seems pointless to pay for all that extra capability.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Jan Sandhouse Hurst
    Participant

I use Mailchimp and GetResponse for different purposes. Of course, there are many options because each fits their customers a bit differently. What works for me might not work for you. I appreciate all the suggestions above, in case I need to make a change.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

So one thing that’s important when thinking about the cost to mail your list from a certain companies’ servers is how many of your emails actually get through to the inbox?

Some companies do a better job of it than others . .

so for example, if one company charges $50 a month for 1000 subscribers but only 300 of them get your emails . .

and another company charges $100 a month for 1000 subscribers but 900 of them get your emails . . which is a better deal?

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Dana Cassell
      Participant

Excellent point, Sean. It reminds me of a consumer example I heard years ago – If you buy a shirt for $25 and wear it once, it is more costly than the $100 shirt you wore 10 times. When you don’t use it or get poor results, it is a costly item/service. Only comparing usage and results will allow you to make useful buying or retention decisions – which will be different for everyone.

Writers-Editors Network

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

How would you know, Sean?

It doesn’t sound like that sort of thing an AR would admit to if they weren’t delivering them.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Dana Cassell
    Participant

AuthorityHacker posted a detailed comparison of various email marketing services today. It might be useful to anyone starting out or considering changing: https://www.authorityhacker.com/best-email-marketing-software/

Writers-Editors Network

2 users thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar