Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Bogged Down In Metrics

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Bogged Down In Metrics

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Suzanne Sukhram 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Are there certain metrics we should watch and everything else will follow if we get them right?

I get bogged down in the metrics I see.

Numbers in doesn’t mean much if they don’t convert.

Maybe it is more of a start here and get this right then worry about the next step.

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

• Author
    Replies

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Einstein had this to say: “Not everything that counts can be counted; and not everything that can be counted counts.”

To me, that sums it up.

Some people spend all their time counting.

They’ll tell you that it makes a difference in their bottom line, but since we know that at least 80% of your output comes from 20% or less of your input, you have to ask if spending a huge amount of time on metrics really matters.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Focus on those things that affect the bottom line: conversion rates at crucial points along the path … click-through, add to cart, average order value, etc. TheGood.com has some excellent articles about data centered decisions.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

personally, I don’t focus too much on metrics . . .

I want to see lives changed, and I see that when I get emails or reports that that is happening.

of course sales have to happen, so I see that with the daily reports.

New subscribers have to happen , . .

but think about this:

which is better, 20% conversion or $1000 in revenue?

40% conversion or 200 new subscribers?

without context, neither matters

I’ll take 10% conversion with 100 new subs

or 80% conversion but only 5 new subs any day

same with revenue . . . I’d rather a LOWER conversion rate but more happy people

because happy people end up spending more anyhow 🙂

and that’s not reflected in a one-time conversion rate

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

1 user thanked author for this post.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

The thing about metrics to not forget is that they allow you to see what’s happening and where. Done right, metrics aren’t burdensome and can be eye-opening. And you can’t test without them.

I know I’ll one day get to all this! I think the logically intuitive approach that Sean presents makes a lot of sense. It’s important to not get too bogged down with the numbers when you can so quickly evaluate things for yourself.

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Don’t be too hard on yourself, Claire.

It often depends on what you read.

If you take in a steady diet of posts from places like MOZ, Kissmetrics, the Search Engine Journal, ahrefs, etc, then you can find yourself believing that if you don’t have a degree in Google Analytics that you’re somehow deficient in the IM space.

For those people and many others like them, metrics are their lifeblood.

Most of us don’t need to have that degree of detail in that sort of thing.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

I’ve been on webinars with Daniel Levis where he said he didn’t worry about unsubscribes, CTR or any of those things. He was concerned about sales. He does most of his selling in the emails, so that when someone clicks through, they are more or less ready to buy. I’m on his list, and I’ve seen his emails, and the man does what he preaches. By the time you get to that link, you’re either going to click so you can buy, or you’re not going to click. There’s no clickbait, curiousity-type stuff.

Metrics are good, but as Sean said, context is important. Metrics don’t exist in a vacuum.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Metrics don’t exist in a vacumm.

There is a winning line for you.

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Scott, 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar