Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Do the Guru's Lie?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Do the Guru's Lie?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Hogue 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Willie Armit
    Participant

What truth do you think there is in that gurus are telling lies just to make us buy their products, because it’s not a secret that they are
    making money OFF you.

What is your take on the GURU’S?

Willie Armit

• Author
    Replies

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Some do. Some don’t. The world is full of scammers. The world is full of folks trying to be helpful. Learn to discern and mind your wallet.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Some probably do.

What’s more likely is that they don’t tell you the whole truth.

The pictures of people sitting on the beach with their laptops, or in some huge house or yacht, probably are canned. As one person suggested, sand doesn’t work well with computers unless it’s in the form of a silicon chip.

What I have discovered is that at least some of those who are making five figures each month are doing far more than most people.

They use complicated strategies and complicated software on a level that most of us are completely unaware of.

And they may be the deception: The idea that ordinary people can get extraordinary results by doing ordinary things.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Julia Rotgers
    Participant

While I think it’s true that there is a fair share of scammers out there…
    In my opinion the true Gurus do not lie to you.

Nor are they trying to deliberately deceive you.

No one can be all things to one person.
    Many times it’s that ONE golden nugget you learn that will move you forward.

Think of what you know now and how many people you learned things from.

You did not develop your craft, more than likely, by learning from one source.

So It is with following a Guru.

I think that many times we feel duped because we jumped in before we were ready.
    Thinking we could apply an advanced strategy when we hadn’t mastered the basics.

Getting honest about where you really are in your development is humbling but necessary if you want to make speedy progress.

Once you accurately evaluate where you are in your development, the next steps becomes much clearer.

Have You Been Struggling, Thinking You Don't Have Enough Time To Build Your Business???
    What if "Not Having Enough Time" Was A Thing of The Past?

If You're Ready For a WHOLE NEW WAY of Thinking About Your "Available Time" Click
    ThisChangesTheGame.com and start finding the time you need to get your business off the ground, even if you time is limited.

JuliaRotgers.com

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I remember when I lost my professional innocence.

For almost three decades I have been a member of a speakers network, I am not too active now, with the wife and the grandchildren to help with I don’t travel much and it is all about travel. I have met a lot of people through the group. Speakers, popular leaders, business men and women, head of charities, you name it. I worked for a few Fortune 500 companies too and met a lot of people through those connections. Then I do missionary work and have rubbed elbows with donors and leaders.

When I first joined the speakers group way back when, there was this man running for president that spoke at a member’s event. Real firebrand, was going to balance the budget, rebuild our infrastructure, get our economy going, fix our schools, run things right in the country for a change. I was impressed! This man obviously knew how to get things done. He was obviously successful and could bring that success to running our nation. He had a book out that told how he became a success and you can too! I was going to see if they were selling it at the event.

I ran up on him in the bathroom and I told him how much I enjoyed his speech.

He acted like he didn’t even hear me, but we did have a conversation.

Straight away he said, “You are a member with this group aren’t you?”
    Yes.
    “Do they cater lunch?”
    Not at this event, it is mostly members.
    “What do they do for lunch?”
    Well, members usually break out in groups and go out for an hour or so.
    “Do you think the head of the group would pay for my lunch, I don’t have enough money to pay for lunch?”

He is running for president and is going to balance our budget and doesn’t have the money for lunch. He has a book on how you can be as successful as him and after the conversation I didn’t buy it. He went on to see if I could pick up his lunch if no one else offered.

I told him if no one else offered, I would pick up his lunch. I just wanted to say to my wife I bought the lunch of our “Future president and world class successful businessman that couldn’t get home if it cost a quarter to go around the world.” David Wright, the president of the group bought his lunch and I didn’t get bragging rights on it. David is a good guy. I am thinking if he knew what this fellow was about he wouldn’t have let him speak at the meeting.

Now there is a nice way to say things and a not nice way to say things and this guy was a jerk when you got him off in a corner one on one. If I was asking you to pick up my lunch I promise I will talk very politely and not insult your group or organization.

I met Zig Ziglar several times, he knew my father in law, they had worked at the same company. Zig was the real thing. Great guy, lived what he taught. Glad I met him. Kept me from souring on “gurus.” My father in law has a nice personal letter from him that is a prized possession of my father in law.

Clement Stone I heard could be a bit of a jerk at times, but his wife got brain fever while doing missionary work and he stood by her in a way that makes legends. I knew the woman that arranged his travel in Tennessee and asked her what he was really like. She said, “He has his moods, if he thinks you aren’t paying attention to him or following his instructions he can get pretty sharp with you, but the man takes care of his wife to the max. She is pretty childlike now and he cares for her like his life depended on it, takes her everywhere, has the patience of Job with her. The man is honest as the day is long, gives millions to children’s charities, he has a lot on him, I can see why he might bark, but he doesn’t bite. He tips well, I like a person that tips well, it says a lot about them.” I felt good about Clement Stone after that.

I went to Atlanta once for a company’s national meeting. I was friends with a couple of company made millionaires. (I am not financially rich anymore, but I am working my way back, isn’t it interesting to see how people treat you when you lose your money? It is like they are afraid that hard times will rub off on them)

So I go with my friends to see the keynote speaker backstage, I later sit at a table next to his table where I can hear everyone talk.

This man was a best selling author. On the cover of a magazine at the time that 90% of you would probably know the name of. Top manager, I think he was the CEO of the business media company he worked in.

The only thing on his mind was selling his book he was pushing.

I bet you would know him if I mentioned either his name or his top book. He has two on Amazon with five star reviews and a program with a journal. His latest book is in the Amazon top 1,000 books and in the top 30 in one of the management and leadership categories.

I heard he traded to get his professional reviews. He didn’t get them from being nice, I don’t think he knows how. How do these people make it to the top being jerks? I decided that they buttered up the people they thought that mattered and the rest they spit out like unpopped popcorn kernels.

He was rude, didn’t answer any questions, had a beauty pageant smile frozen on his face, he could smile while being rude. A friend of mine told me, “he is a jerk, he tried to change the contract with our company for his speaking engagement several times, he threatened to back out at the last minute if we didn’t give him a second session where he could just talk about his book.”

I wish I hadn’t bought his book after I met him and he made crude jokes as I tried to talk with him, but I already had.

Angela Chrysler, that married into the Chrysler automotive family and her father worked with Lee Iaccoca, real thing. Met her several times and she is sweet, has all the time in the world for anyone that has anything to do with her company. Took it over when her dad died. She is so nice that I figured the business world would chew her up and spit her out, but no, she is smart. No doubt watched her dad in business. She covers her bases and thinks two steps ahead. If she told me my loving wife was going to shoot me I would have to buy a bullet proof vest. She is on facebook. She is about to take her company across the billion dollar a year sales threshold and she posts pictures of her and her children making snacks for Halloween, with their pets, trick or treating, family stuff, much like my wife does and my wife isn’t taking any company over a billion. Very little business is on Angela’s facebook page, just positive and motivation stuff and her family. She is the real thing.

Knew a top salesman for a company. He actually cried with a family that had lost a daughter not too long before. They were there for a business deal representing their company. When they left he laughed and said, “Another batch of satisfied suckers.”

I had looked at that man as a role model, but not any longer.

I could go on and on.

Do the role models and gurus lie and fake it and are just down right jerks?

A lot fake it and are jerks in my opinion. I would say most, but that just makes the ones that don’t and are nice, truthful and care more valuable. Don’t let it make you critical and a skeptic. It is like eating at a buffet, take what works for you and leave the rest.

There are some really sincere people out there in leadership roles. There are people that really want you to succeed. I had a downline person in MLM that I gave a millionaire mlm’ers number to talk to about building their business. My friend I found out was calling him after 9 pm every night. I said, “You shouldn’t be bothering him that late at night.” My downline friend said, “Oh, that is when he told me to call, he puts his children to bed every night and tucks them in, he says he is free after 9…”

You have to love people like that.

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

1 user thanked author for this post.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

I think some do.
    Some don’t.

Some don’t mean it.

I agree with Julia . . I think most genuinely want to help, but what you need and what they teach are often different.

one thing I hear a lot is folks buy a course, get stuck, can’t get in touch with the guru, then write him or her off.

But a book is a book, a 1-1 consulting project for 6 months is another.

I also hear of folks buying coaching then the guru disappears.

That’s not a guru.

That’s a person who writes good copy, someone bought and the non-guru disappeared!

I think that it’s important not to focus on finding the liars . .

but instead dig deep and figure out what YOU need and want . . .and find someone to teach THAT to you . . .

Instead of having to depend on some “guru” to tell you what to think 🙂

Of course, you may need direction in your thinking.

But process what someone says, ask several people the same question, then make your own opinion – don’t just blindly rely on someone else’s opinion!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

I don’t know if you realize this or not, Scott, and maybe you’ve thought about it already, but you ought to write a book or two about your experiences.

You don’t have to name names, though I imagine that where you have good things to say, they would appreciate it.

My suggestion isn’t a veiled pitch for your business, by the way.

It’s simply a recognition that you’ve had some unique experiences and have almost firsthand knowledge of people who are well-known and respected in entrepreneurial circles; and that kind of information is gold.

The thing to do would be to make a list of the people you’ve met or those who knew people like Clement Stone.

Then start adding what you’ve learned about these people.

Ten or twelve names would be enough; one for each chapter.

Then you’d write an introductory chapter that would spell out the themes, and a concluding chapter that would tie it altogether.

The entire book could be produced on Kindle.

Depending on how much information you have, or could get, it would probably be about 50K words.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bob Moore
    Participant

What’s funny is we hear about “gurus” all the time. Who are the gurus?

No one I’ve ever come across has ever admitted to being a guru since it has a negative connotation associated with it. We can all make assumptions about who they are based on the frequency we see them and their offers.

I’m not naming names here, but we probably all have our own ideas about who they are.

That being said, are they lying? I don’t think so. They’re just people trying to make a buck as we all are or else we wouldn’t be in this industry. Do you want to help people? Absolutely. That should be your focus. But we also want to make money, hence the name of the niche many of us are in, “Make Money Online.”

Personally, I think “guru” is a term thrown around a little too loosely by some who want to blame someone else for their lack of success. I know that sounds harsh, but I think there’s some truth in it.

I’m not meaning to offend anyone. . .

Unlock the key to earning thousands per day. Leads, sales, and profits await. Click here.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Thanks Bruce, that is a very nice thing to say.

I imagine there is a limited audience for it, but we often don’t value what we have under our own roof.

I think sometimes of writing my memoirs…I knew George Lindsey who was Goober on Andy Griffith and much smarter than he acted, Douglas Spears the WWII war hero was my history teacher, I knew Rory Calhoun the western star, he was a friend of a man that owned the tv shop in my home town, they met when he was doing town to town promotions. Rory was a hoodlum growing up, but someone turned him on to acting and he turned his life around, helped a lot of boys in trouble as an actor. A tribal chief in Africa I befriended gave me 400 acres and I made an orphan’s farm on it. That is a place where you can tell who the chief is because he has a bucket to sit on, the rest don’t even have a bucket to sit on.

The children got tired of hearing my Zig Ziglar tapes and stories as they grew up and my wife doesn’t laugh at my jokes anymore.

We were buying some jewelry for my wife recently and I said something to the saleswoman and she laughed out loud, said your husband has a wicked sense of humor.
    My wife rolled her eyes and said, “You get used to it after 24 years…”

I guess I preach mostly to the choir.

Wishing you the best,
    Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Bruce, you might find this interesting, I guess I am getting off topic here, so I will say this and quit. Since it has to do with the truthfulness and the accuracy of a classic story, maybe it isn’t too far off.

My grandfather died in 1984, but in 1987 when I bought my first copy of Think and Grow Rich, I realized he had told me the rest of a story that was in the book…

In Chapter One, Introduction or Thoughts Are Things in my 1987 edition, Napoleon Hill tells how that Henry Ford wanted a V-8 engine and his engineers said it was impossible. In the book Hill tells how Ford went back over and over again telling them to keep at it as they kept saying it was impossible and after over a year, “as if by a stroke of magic, the secret was discovered.”

That is not exactly how I heard it. I will tell you about that “magic.”

My grandfather operated the first motor powered road grader in Kentucky and before that he worked mule teams. Since he could read he was picked to test the motor powered road grader. The grader came with an operating manual like a newspaper sheet folded several times and it was on a Government job and they wanted a written report of how the machine performed. My grandfather could read and write, he was the son of a school trustee, so he was chosen. (in case you are wondering the report read something like this, “It did pretty well out of the ditch, but if you got it in the ditch and wanted it out again, you had better keep the mules handy)

AS he rose in the road building business, my grandfather for a time became friends with one of Henry Ford’s original engineers, one that worked on the V-8 engine. The man later worked for a company that was developing road building/dirt moving equipment.

He told my grandfather the V-8 story like this, “Ford wanted an eight cylinder motor cast with a one piece block casting to eliminate the problems that came with bolting two 4 cylinder engines together and we couldn’t get it to work out with the foundry. We kept telling him the foundry guys weren’t working with us and he said keep at it. He thought we were just placing the blame on someone else. One day he came in and said, “I may be wrong, I may not be able to have an eight cylinder engine with a single block, but I know one thing for sure, I can have engineers that won’t say it is impossible!” and he put them on notice that they would lose their jobs if they didn’t deliver.

The engineers got together and went down to the foundry and they told the foundry men if they didn’t cast a #&%#@$! block in one piece like they wanted there would be a terrible fight. After a lot of yelling, peace prevailed when a foreman told the foundry men that if Ford got wind of this they wouldn’t have a job and the foundry men and the engineers got together and worked out the one piece block and Ford had a V-8 engine “like magic.”

The men at the foundry didn’t want to quit making the four cylinder block to experiment on the eight cylinder block. Somehow about how they were paid or their production numbers had entered into the problem and as such they would only piddle at the project over the previous year at odd times, not wishing to waste their time with it.

That is how I heard it,
    The rest of the story,
    Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar