Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Free Course Magnet

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Free Course Magnet

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Hogue 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Replies

Don Sturgill
    Participant

The meme I’ve seen folks using most, Scott, is the “Challenge” concept. Take one part of your big training and use it as an intro.

Robert Mason
      Participant

Hi Don, yes, that is what I am offering – actual lessons from my online course.

Melody Jackson
    Participant

Which results are you measuring? How many optins for the freebie you get or how many actually buy the course? Very often these can be very different metrics.

When I did FB ads, I did a split-test of both which ads drove most CLICKS and then of those clicks, which one got the must subscribers for the freebie. They were sometimes the same and sometimes different.

What effectiveness are you measuring?

Doria Musaga
    Participant

I know the free lead magnet is used by most IMers but I know some others who think a free product attracts freebie seekers. I suppose one could do a test to see if it true. The greater population is probably used to a free lead magnet. I am still working on a product from the 4 week class in August in health and fitness and have no problem giving out free parts of the product. The idea by Robert to give some parts of the training is a great one.

Jan Sandhouse Hurst
    Participant

I had great response when I offered a “mini-course” last spring, which was just a mind map blueprint. I’ve also had good luck with templates/cheat sheets.

What are your competitors doing? If your prospects are used to seeing a particular type of offer, you might want to try something similar but with a different twist.

How about offering a free service? I was just listening to Sean’s platform class, so I definitely want to create an awesome freebie pdf, but I’m thinking that I’d also like to include a coupon for a free tarot / oracle reading inside that pdf.

The whole point is to totally blow away the prospect so that he or she can’t wait to work with you.

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Well, I see more questions here and good questions, so I guess I need to answer them so I can get answers…

Melody raised a good point, what do I count as an effective action.

We sort of assume that when someone subscribes that they are a good and interested subscriber since they subscribed to my topic.
    On the other hand, we do get a lot of free stuff collectors.

What I really was thinking was, if I offer an absolutely free mini course that you don’t even have to sign up for and then give them an offer to subscribe for to continue, those people that did would be pre qualified as interested to some extent. Sort of like Sean says that when a person reads an entire Ezine article and then clicks they are a more valuable subscriber since they know more about who Sean is, what he does and his style of teaching.

I like the challenge idea, Don.

Robert makes me think of the free chapter book offer.

thanks,
    Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Scott, many might not show for or complete the training … who are genuinely interested in your topic. If you don’t have them opt-in up front, you’ll lose the contact. I get your desire to pre-qualify, but I’m not sure that’s the best way.

Loreen McKellar
    Participant

I offer

1. free ebook – 40 pages covering all my principles
    2. the portal/platform
    and my favourite
    3. the 20 min free coaching.

No one has taken me up on the free coaching online but I also do a meetup and offered it there and have takers. I think this is because they have met and worked with me while online they don’t trust me enough yet. The uptake has been favourable enough for me to continue and I will use recordings to create a product as well as to find out what my people want.

I have found questionnaires and training from people in my field that I can offer as a magnet also.

"The Brain Fixer Upper"

1 user thanked author for this post.

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

One of the few people I trust online apart from Sean talks about trust-based offers. He suggests having short reports 1-3 that are easy to put together (and excellent quality) that someone can download without an opt in. In these reports you would put a link to either a paid offer or a gated lead magnet that they have to give you their email address for.

The idea is that if they read those and are intrigued enough to subscribe to your list, then the email address they give you will likely be one that they actually check, versus one that is designed for opt-ins to get the free goods and is never checked after those freebies are delivered. I haven’t tested this idea yet, but I plan to.

Let’s face it – the days of everyone giving an email address that they check frequently are over, and have been over for a while. So the best bet for getting a real email address is likely to be a mini course or challenge or something else that they will have to check email for over the course of days.

Scott, in terms of your idea, I think that maybe you should offer a smaller item – a cheat sheet like someone else mentioned or some other small thing – that you give away for free. Inside that, you could then offer them the free mini course for signing up, and then of course, you would be able to talk more about the full course after they’ve completed the mini course.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

It depends on your audience.

Like anything else, you won’t know unless you test it.

I recommend that you stick with the same lead magnet for at least 500 unique visitors.

That should give you a decent sized sample.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Julia Rotgers
    Participant

What did you really need when you were in the shoes of your client?
    Chances are, they need it now, as well.

I’ve found some great ideas looking back into by email inbox from 3 years back.
    Sometimes it’s easy to forget what we needed when we were getting started and to see your offer from your clients perspective.

Have You Been Struggling, Thinking You Don't Have Enough Time To Build Your Business???
    What if "Not Having Enough Time" Was A Thing of The Past?

If You're Ready For a WHOLE NEW WAY of Thinking About Your "Available Time" Click
    ThisChangesTheGame.com and start finding the time you need to get your business off the ground, even if you time is limited.

JuliaRotgers.com

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

How many different types of freebie have you tried, Scott?

Are you waiting to see what seems to be the most effective before you create one?

If you’re getting a lot of traffic, then you could create two or three different squeeze pages and then have your autoresponder alternate among them.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Scott Hogue
      Participant

I have tried recordings, books and pdf reports.

Not a scientific study, but the audio recordings seem to do best, the books next and the reports last.

Was wondering if a free course would draw if not more, at least better prospects and engage with them more.

Scott Hogue CChH
      Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
      http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
      http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Julia,

That is very insightful, and very true! I think sometimes we forget that we were once where our prospects and clients were. When we’ve become competent at certain things, it can be hard to remember what it was like (and what we needed) when we were just starting to learn.

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

I used a free course many moons ago and I got boat loads of freebie seekers. When I mailed to them my open rates were dismal and my click thru rates would make a grown man cry.

Now I use product launches to build a buyers list. They are much more responsive.

Now in all fairness I haven’t applied the technique’s I learned from Sean’s master class. I have created a master document and I am building my squeeze page and give away out of it. I will try the give away again.

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

My personal experience is that a “course” as a giveaway gets a lower optin rate, but a higher buyer rate.

A download gets higher optin rate, but slightly lower buyer rate.

Not enough difference either way to make the decision . . .

I do like a time-delivered course though for keeping folks opening a series of emails (possibly labeled Lesson 1, Lesson 2, and so on )

The KEY is that each lesson much be good enough for people to WANT tomorrow’s lesson so that they will open tomorrow’s email.

Remember – today’s email open rate is influenced by the greatness of yesterday’s email itself 🙂

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Mark Rhodes
    Participant

Scott,

In the near future, I’ll be using a $1 course as an entry point. It will be a real course with multiple audio files. They will need to sign up with a real email address. I don’t know how it will work yet.

Mark

All About Health And Healing

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Malik,

I’m glad to see you are targeting buyers for subscribers . . . perhaps 80% of my own list are buyers, and I believe that’s one component that makes my business sing 🙂

And of course, all of you!

Loreen, I love your funnel concept!

And want to see you starting to book some consults.

Why not add a live link to your free consult offer, to the signature in your posts here?

I can see a few of my clients taking you up on your offer!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Why not do a combo – a free course with an immediate, high value download?

Sean

Sean

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar