Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

How do you know that you're on the right path?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything How do you know that you're on the right path?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Dana Cassell 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Donna Merrill
    Participant

Do you use a hit and miss approach to your business? Do you take one step forward and 2 steps back? Do you get things all set up and ready to go, but just can’t pull the trigger? Or, do your have 10 projects 75% complete, but 0 actually in motion? I think a lot of hesitancy, procrastination, fear and fumbling about, results from a lack of conviction that you are heading in the right direction. So I’d be interested in hearing if and how you know that you’re on the right path?

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Author
    Replies

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

I never know for sure if I’m on the right path.

I’ve been down so-many dead-ends that I feel like I should be a cartographer.

Getting better, however, at recognizing what won’t work.

Just last night, I realized this about one of my squeeze pages.

So now will have to be fixed. And it’s not a five-minute job, either.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

That is a great question.

For each project that I start I have goals and bench marks, if I am hitting these targets I will keep going and with every mile stone reached that further cements in my mind that I am heading in the right direction.

If I am missing my targets, I will have to stop my project and ask some questions about my endeavor.

I also like to keep everything simple (as few steps as possible). I have often heard it said that your business plan should be able to fit on a cocktail napkin.

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Donna Merrill
      Participant

That’s a great system to follow, Malik.

Simplicity is such a complicated thing, eh?

Bob Moore
    Participant

Two things — accountability and goals. Assuming that you didn’t already have a coach, this site now takes care of the accountability issue. Without goals, you’ll never know what you’re accomplishing, if anything.

If my aim is to get my squeeze page up and running today but I don’t accomplish it, I haven’t met my goal. If I want to write three emails but I write only one, I’ve fallen a bit short.

Granted, you’re not going to accomplish everything you set out to do every day. Life happens. But I think just knowing what you want to get done and focusing on just that keeps you on the path.

Unlock the key to earning thousands per day. Leads, sales, and profits await. Click here.

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

One of the challenges, Bob, is learning how long things take.

Although there’s some truth to Parkinson’s Law – “Work will expand to fill the time available” – many of us still overestimate how much we can accomplish within that time.

Might be worth keeping a record of how much time you spend on each task.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Gregory Bey
    Participant

You know when you are on the right path when you make up your mind that you are

You know you are on the right path when you are going to succeed, what ever it takes and you get your happiness out of your work.

Gregory Bey
    Participant

You know when you are on the right path when you make up your mind that you are

You know you are on the right path
    when you are going to do
    what ever it takes to succeed
    and you get your happiness out
    of your work.

Gregory Bey
    Participant

On the right path

You know you are on the right path
    When you make up your mind to do
    what ever it takes to succeed
    and you get your happiness out of your work
    Gregory Bey

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Since 9 pm I have written over four thousand words. The wife is in bed asleep and I could do it all night, but have trouble getting up in the morning, so I reluctantly close the laptop and go to bed.

I had got stuck trying to make something work and then I walked away. When I came back I let it happen.

I think we know in our heart, but we won’t allow ourselves to believe it is possible to make a living or it has value so we have uncertainty.

An old coaching trick is when someone says I don’t know, say I know you don’t know, but if you did…..?

I also think you will find little signs along the way.

The true compass needle here points to others. When we help others with what we love to do, it aligns with that needle.

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

thoughts on knowing if you are on the right path

Sometimes I think you just know that you are on the right path

Sometimes if you are doubting that you are on the right path . . maybe that’s a sign.

Or maybe it means you have to dig deep and find out.

Sometimes folks spend so much time going through the motions, while something in the back of their head is asking, am I on the right path?

Maybe instead of going through the motions, you step back and figure it out . . what is my path?

Of course, there’s always the other side . . sometimes you ARE on the right path, but as humans we tend to always be looking for greener grass, we tend to always be a bit unsatisfied with what we have RIGHT NOW . . .

So sometimes I think it’s about being on the right JOURNEY

but some of the paths inside the journey are useful, some are useless, some are training . . .

So sometimes the path we are on inside the journey . . . may need tweaking

but maybe our journey is what it is . . .

maybe what’s most important is simply living the journey . . .

and impacting others along the way

(life is a journey and maybe our purpose is to learn to love others????)

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Donna Merrill
      Participant

Hi Sean,

I can certainly be a sucker for “going through the motions.”

It feels good to be “busy” but sometimes I know I’m off he path, but still, I feel the need to keep churning until I figure out I should be doing.

Totally backwards I know, but still a compelling motivation sometimes.

Julia Rotgers
    Participant

This is a great question!

I did an audio on this just a few days ago.

The topic was on how you can know you have clarity and not just acting on a current distraction.

Like most things that have to be put into practice, it is difficult to put into a few words.

For me, there is always a moment of simply knowing I’m on the right track.
    Next, I have a defined and measurable goal and action steps.
    When your’re clear about where you’re going – each action builds on the next, no matter how small.

If you’re not going anywhere or find yourself back in the same place over an over again, chances are you need to get more clarity on where you want to go OR you need to add time to reevaluate whether or not what you are doing is working.

One thing I find missing in a lot of entrepreneurs life is a simple evaluation of;
    “What worked – what didn’t – what do I need to do more of – what do I need to get rid of”.

I learned how to do this as a part of public workshops and community events.
    There was always a time immediately after the event to get feedback from the crew on what we could do better next time so each event was an improvement on the previous.

As “solo” entrepreneurs we don’t always evaluate our actions on a daily or weekly basis.
    And because of this, we often travel down a path we don’t mean to for longer than intended.

When if we’d just looked around and asked some good questions we could get ourselves back on the road we want to be on.

Have You Been Struggling, Thinking You Don't Have Enough Time To Build Your Business???
    What if "Not Having Enough Time" Was A Thing of The Past?

If You're Ready For a WHOLE NEW WAY of Thinking About Your "Available Time" Click
    ThisChangesTheGame.com and start finding the time you need to get your business off the ground, even if you time is limited.

JuliaRotgers.com

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

So much depends on the feedback we get; and when you’re still trying to get everything off the ground, you don’t get much. So it feels like you’re not making any progress.

And that’s when you question what you’re doing. You don’t feel like you’re making any progress, and so you look for something where you can make progress.

“Oh, look! A BSO!” 😉

Bruce Hoag PhD

Donna Merrill
      Participant

Hi Julia,

things to “get rid of”… that’s probably my biggest challenge.

I always take on too much and it is so important to streamline and grab those blinders to anything that doesn’t help you get to your destination.

I think you know you’re on the right path when you can break what you’re doing down to one part of a plan that has many parts.

If it’s going to benefit part of your overall plan, be that product creation or marketing, you’re on the right path.

I look at everything I’m doing online that way, nowadays. Helps me steer clear of the shiny objects I don’t need that don’t lend to the overall vision I’m working to achieve.

EDIT: I want to add something based on what I read from the other responses. I think even if you have to scrap a squeeze page, or rewrite pages, that doesn’t mean it’s a loss. It just means you’re that much closer to weeding everything else out to get to the end goal of completion. I’m a novel writer, though…I wrote a couple of fiction books before switching my focus to internet marketing. So I can attest to scrapping pages and even full chapters of a book midstream to rewrite them before eventually reaching the finished product.

The real question is, do you HAVE an end goal in mind?

Like the quote about Thomas Edison about trying 10,000 times before inventing the light bulb. He reportedly said, “This doesn’t mean I failed the other 9,999 times. I just discovered 9,999 other ways it will not work.”

I Use Reviews
    Where I Only Review Internet Marketing Products and Programs
    I Actually Use, Or Have Used
    Visit My YouTube Channel!
    Follow Me on Twitter @IUseReviews

4 users thanked author for this post.

Sean Mize
      Keymaster

I can’t even count how many sales letters and various pieces of copy I’ve written and never used . . . a veritable gold mine on my harddrive of copy I’ve written and it didn’t feel write. Rewrote it from scratch the next day . . . but the old copy still sits there.

And sometimes the more you do, the more you write, the better you get 🙂

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Here’s an idea:

When you are on the right path, you have a decided targeted direction and then you are doing that direction . . .

each day, are the actions of your day getting your closer to you big defined goal?

Sean

Sean

Dana Cassell
    Participant

Such a great question/topic, Donna! And such useful responses. A variation I find is how do I know which of the many options do I follow. It seems as if decision-making gets more difficult as the years and experience roll by – not easier. Too many options keep piling up.

Need anything written or edited?
    Writers-Editors Network
    is the place to go for editorial help from professional writers and editors

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

Dana, here’s an idea you might try.

There’s a lot of educated guesswork in it but, given your experience, you’re probably pretty good at it.

Make a list of the top five options. You’ll have to decide what the criteria is.

Then next to each one, estimate the probability that it will occur.

Then multiply the probability times the value of the opportunity.

The highest score wins.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Dana Cassell
      Participant

Thanks, Bruce – I like that; it’s similar to processes I’ve used in the past and makes sense to me. I’ll try it on several decisions I need to make this month.

Need anything written or edited?
      Writers-Editors Network
      is the place to go for editorial help from professional writers and editors

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar