Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Is there any reason why the top ten contributor list has been removed?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Is there any reason why the top ten contributor list has been removed?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Hogue 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi all,

The whole PreneurPal project started off with a competition to help get some topics out there quickly.

Since then, for a period of time, everyone’s stats were made available. But more recently the complete list has been removed in favour of only the the top ten contributors.

I, personally, preferred the whole list model as it enabled every member to quantify their contributions, to the group, at a glance.

We all know who the top few contributors are, but hiding the information, or making it more difficult to discern will not, in my opinion, encourage those who have contributed little to suddenly become prolific.

I do what I can within the group and yes it’s problematic sometimes. But it’s difficult to hide the fact that seventy per cent of us have not been active within the forum for a week or more, at time of writing. And just under fifty per cent inactive for over two weeks.

I will leave it open to your thoughts.

P.S.

If this is down to a technical glitch, then please excuse my ignorance, but I still believe the point I made are valid ones.

• Author
    Replies

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I was wondering that too.

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

I actually think it’s a good thing.

That’s because it forces those of us at the top to focus on the forum itself.

Think of it like this.

If you were brand new, just coming into the forum, and you saw that some people had made hundreds, even thousands, of contributions, wouldn’t you feel at least a little intimidated?

I’ve been in forums like that, and I noticed that my focus changed over time.

Instead of trying to see how much value I could add, I found myself trying to compete with the top people.

This way, it’s more difficult to know how you rank.

And I like that.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

1 user thanked author for this post.

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

I can see both sides. I am staying with this forum because it’s new and I believe Sean is going to put a lot of effort into making Preneurpal work.

I have missed a lot of ground floor opportunities and I vowed not to miss this one.

Seeing only the top contributors let’s me know how pathetic my participation has been to this group. And is a reminder to step up or get left behind.

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I think it was an incentive and also as Malik said, let you know where your level of participation fell.

If you wanted help you could see where people fell in the ranking and use that to help pick someone doing something.

There may be some technical reason for it, I don’t think Sean is an everyone gets a trophy guy.

The world keeps score, that is for sure!

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

I can, also, see Bruce’s point but then it depends upon how each new member decides to react to the output of the prolific contributors. They can use it as a rich resource and interact when they have the time, or they can hide away in a corner, but, whatever the situation, it is down to the individual to decide.

The majority of the current 104 members joined around the same time and I don’t think it’s the top contributors that is frightening them off. My guess is that it is the usual issues of life that get in the way. Or, more likely, and let’s be honest, the initial clammer of interest started to die down around 3 weeks launch.

It does not put me off, in the slightest, that there are people who have contributed a lot more than me. Rather it keeps up my spirits and helps nudge me into keeping a regular, if small, input going.

I am more concerned with the majority of the group’s lack of participation, and how we might help to improve it. But I honestly doubt if the productivity of the top contributors is more than just a side issue for other members, whether they be relatively new or 6 week veterans.

The sad part, and the elephant in the room, is that most of the group won’t even read this thread anyway because they don’t log in often enough to see it, before it disappears among the growing number of other questions.

I have personally critiqued email sequences, videos and a website over the last few weeks and the two members concerned paid only the barest of lip service to my comments. Both have now been absent from the forum for around 3 weeks. I am not blaming them for that (human nature) but if there is one thing that disheartens me it is helping others who won’t on most occasions bother to recognize your efforts in even the smallest way.

Why ask for help and then if you don’t like what you hear, go off and continue to do same thing? At least they could give reason why they disagree with you. Even a “thanks but no thanks” would suffice.

Saying all of that if I have failed to acknowledge any piece of advice given to me in this forum I sincerely apologize. I will have simply lost track over time. You are all welcome to remind me, via private message, if I have been remiss.

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

I’ve had to develop a kind of routine in this forum.

First I check the new and unread comments and see if I can add something to those discussions that will benefit them.

Then I head over to the member’s section and invite people.

I also click on my name to see if anyone has sent me a private message. So far, there’s no way of knowing that short of actually looking.

If I can think of a good question – something that will get people to think – then I’ll ask it; and if I get an idea for an article, then I’ll make some notes for later, or write it on the spot.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Mark Rhodes
      Participant

I definitely have a routine here, too. And I come about 6 or 7 days per week. I’m working my way through the Ask Anything posts starting on page 4 and have read nearly every post/comment all the way to the top of page 1.

It took a month to get through. And, it was intimidating in a way. Not personal or competitive. Just a tremendous amount of work to be into the action of the most current threads. I was 98th out of the 104 members. I have not done anything other than read Ask Anything and reply here and there.

I did make a couple of notes on topics I will start myself when I get fully caught up.

Mark

All About Health And Healing

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I heard on the internet that the Grinch that stole Christmas took the list and did it to stop anyone from winning the next contest here!

I am kind of lightening up tonight.

Scott Hogue CChH

Leslie Leftley
      Participant

LOL Scott..we all know that would be a 2 horse race, and not even the Grinch would be quick enough to steal the thoroughbreds carrying the two of you.

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Thanks Bruce,

Silly me!…I was not aware, or had forgotten, about how to check for messages. I had two awaiting me (one from you). So I have now replied to both.

Your routine appears to be an excellent basis for a daily activity template, to utilize when checking into PreneurPal.

Donna Merrill
    Participant

Hey Bruce, I appreciate the thumbnail sketch of communicating out here.

My biggest issue is not responding to messages, but following up on replies to my past comments.

I would love to be able to find them, but once I leave a comment I’ll probably never know if anyone responded to it. So it kind of kills the “conversational thread” aspect of the forum.

Maybe it’s in the works.

Do you have a method for finding your old comments and replies?

PS: If you reply to this… I hope I can find it 🙂

I’ve had to develop a kind of routine in this forum.

First I check the new and unread comments and see if I can add something to those discussions that will benefit them.

Then I head over to the member’s section and invite people.

I also click on my name to see if anyone has sent me a private message. So far, there’s no way of knowing that short of actually looking.

If I can think of a good question – something that will get people to think – then I’ll ask it; and if I get an idea for an article, then I’ll make some notes for later, or write it on the spot.

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

Yes. Donna. There are two ways to do this.

If you’ve originated a question, then you can access all of them by going to Members, finding your profile, and then clicking on Forums.

The second way is probably harder, though it used to be easy.

You’ve probably noticed that when you open a post, whether you originated it or not, at the top right is the word Favorite. That word is active. If you click it, then it will change to Favorited. And then you should be able to go to a list of your favorited posts.

If you favorite a post that you’re commenting in, then you’ll be able to find it.

Now it used to be that there was a link at the bottom of the Access page that would take you to a page called My Favorites. That link doesn’t seem to be there anymore.

I haven’t tried it, but I’m wondering if it still exists, and if it couldn’t be found by altering the suffix in the URL to something like “my-favorites.”

As the forum is still a work in progress, I imagine that it will come back at some point.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Hey, folks, thanks for taking the time to discuss this!

I want to reopen discussion on this with a particular question:

Do you want me to reinstate the contest board?

Or is it actually better without it?

Here’s what happened, and I was concerned is was hurting some folks participation, the ones who needed it the most:

the initial contest was designed to get 10-12 folks really motivated to post and compete . . but once there were only 2 real competitors I began to see evidence that many others who weren’t on the top begin to feel as though they couldn’t contribute.

And in the fact, the truth is, those who felt that way are the ones who MOST needed to contribute.

This is designed to help the MOST not the few, and I’m concerned that the leaderboard was favoring the few . . .

I know this community isn’t perfect yet . . but my dream is for participation to be a key, key area, and the contest element no longer felt good to me . .

So would love to hear some more opinions on this!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

My own feeling is that the leaderboard is counterproductive.

The reason is that it takes the focus away from “how can I help people” and makes it into “how can I get on top” or “who can I next get ahead of.”

When that happens, the quality of the comments diminishes.

The goal of the forum should be the mutual benefit of all who are in it, and I don’t think that the leaderboard encourages that.

Some forums identify participants as “founder members,” or “platinum contributors.” (I’m making up these terms.)

I don’t see how that kind of thing can be done without making people feel that they were less important because they couldn’t become whatever someone else was.

As long as all of us, especially the new people as they come on board, feel like peers, we’ll contribute as peers; but as soon as you introduce different levels of achievement that are obvious, such as is in a leaderboard or a label that’s based on longevity or the level of participation, you change the forum into a contest. And those who feel that they stand no chance of “winning” will be discouraged from getting involved. That’s the opposite of what we want.

All of us will know how active someone else is by the number of topics they’ve started, the number of comments given, thanks given and received which is shown under the avatar of each person. To me, that’s the subtle way, and the right way, to make a distinction between us.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Julie Ruiz
    Participant

As someone who is quite new here, I can say, contests may have been a shiny object of distraction. Especially when one is feeling a bit unmotivated that day. On the other hand, I was looking forward to the possibility of winning 1-1 coaching with Sean. With that said, when I arrived I do remember feeling there would be no way I could win with all the people who made it here first.
    While everyone’s participation is vital to the success of this site, I also wonder if contests would promote one worded or not so informative answers just so one’s stats could rise.
    Lastly, people who want to help will help, contest or not. 🙂

PS. A FAQ page would be FANTASTIC!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

You can’t fight human nature…well, you can, but you will lose.

Competition breeds activity and activity draws people in.

It creates opportunities for contact, communication and connections where people get to know each other and can know who to ask for help if so inclined.

As long as people aren’t attacking each other I see any activity as good.

Like they say there is no bad press…

In my humble opinion…

Scott Hogue CChH

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar