Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Lead Magnets and Give Aways

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Lead Magnets and Give Aways

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Leslie Leftley 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Here is a place where those that are ready and interested can share and ask for comments on their Lead Magnets and Give Aways.

If this doesn’t apply to you, then no worries and no problems. Look over our shoulders if you want or just proceed on your own.

I am brave (sometimes) I will go first. Here is a link to a give away that I ran a few years back to get subscribers and I am thinking of using it again.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/coachingrecordings/Empty+Pockets.pdf

It was a small test, but if you take out my friends and my test run throughs it had about a 3% subscriber rate.
    I mean by that, about 3% that saw the offer filled out the subscriber form and clicked the download.,

I haven’t seen anyone be mean here yet, so I welcome all comments (Including Sean),

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

• Author
    Replies

Dana Cassell
    Participant

Scott, of those who downloaded, how many went the next step to a free session or otherwise contacted? You might consider revising it a bit to directly address “you” rather than “they” in the Reasons. Just my first impression.

Need anything written or edited?
    Writers-Editors Network
    is the place to go for editorial help from professional writers and editors

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Dana,
    Good point. I didn’t follow through as I should have, but I got 409 views, of these about 3% clicked the download or 12, which I am guessing of the 409 about 9 give or take were my tests and a few of my friends looking it over, so I am saying 3%. So 12 subscribers and 9 wrote at least one email to me in the coming month or so with questions and comments, which I thought was a surprising number or percentage. One asked for the session, but canceled because of something coming up with her and didn’t reschedule. I had several more give aways and helpful emails I offered and sent in the campaign, but in this particular test I never got to a sales offer other than I would have made an offer in the session if anyone had taken me up on the session.

Life happens and you get off track. It is like going to the movies and buying a ticket, but not going in. I did all that work and just when I was nearing a win I got sidetracked.

That is why I am here,
    thank you so much,
    Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:

Leslie Leftley
      Participant

Hi Scott,

Fascinating! But is it a lead magnet?

A very detailed and informative piece of work. Now I know Sean loves substantial lead magnets both information wise and word count. For me the jury is still out on that one. However, I see no reason why you couldn’t still use that PDF as a lead magnet as long as you drew up a cheat sheet to go alongside it. This would serve as an easier reference, and as a fast start guide, so to speak. People are, unfortunately getting lazier and attention levels are declining.

I do not know why your last venture resulted in no sales, but I suspect it may have been the positioning in the market and the targeting, perhaps being too broad.

But after saying all that, I think once most people got access to your enormous download they can either read it immediately, or late. Most won’t have time to more than skim the piece, meaning to return later. But of course most never return. This could be another reason why downloaders did not go onto purchase any paid products you may have had to offer.

Have you though about publishing the PDF as a short kindle book? With the correct marketing that may work better than using it again as a lead magnet.

Finally, how about spicing up your work. Add diagrams, graphs, and maybe a short video. And, yes, more white space and a bigger font.

But, for all that, a great piece of work.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

I’m a believer in Kaizen – everything can be improved.

The first thing I notice in this one is layout difficulties … very little color, no graphics, spacing issues, and italics are a horrible way to make your main points.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Don,
    Thanks for your comments and I really mean that, they have reinforced what I have heard about everything I have ever shown people to review that I have written. You are much, much kinder than some.

I got an acidic email once that only idiots use two spaces after a period, but this particular idiot was taught that in Mrs. Stewart’s typing class and no one sent me the memo that it had changed. I checked it out and they were right, I don’t know about the idiot part, but they were right about the two spaces changing and it was the hardest habit I ever broke.

I took the complaints I got about using too many commas and using them incorrectly to a woman that had a phd in English or Grammar, I forget just what, but she was the head of the department. She laughed and said that I was right technically and commas could correctly be used for separation of items, breathing, emphasis, to set a statement apart or when the writer wanted to establish a pace to the writing. She said we no longer use one before the word “and” in a series, but that was correct the old way. She said drop that and I give you permission to use a comma any time in any way you want and with my authority I can do that! I wish I had got it in writing.

People find the misspelled words and the format issues, no one ever says “I think you are wrong on this point you are teaching or I think this would work in my life or I have that problem, I can see myself in this” it is all about the wrapper the message is delivered in.

It is frustrating to me since I enjoy teaching live and in person and no one ever has said after I teach live “you stutter too much or I don’t like how you use phrases.”

I certainly don’t have perfect diction or a golden tongue, but they don’t object to my verbal delivery. I always got straight ten’s in my audience ratings in the speaker’s network.

I have actually thought about giving up writing and go purely verbal with recordings. I think that we are taught in school to be critical of text, spelling and comma faults, etc, so when we see anything written we automatically go into editor mode, just like reviewing our school work before it is graded and often miss the message entirely. I would have given up, but I personally need to see things. I will listen to Sean and then make outlines or charts of his teaching so I can get what he is teaching. He usually doesn’t have printable content. I want to cover that base for my visual learners.

I don’t personally like graphics mixed with my text, they just get in the way of the reading for me, but I know you are right, people are into graphics and that is a great idea. I didn’t even think about it. Strange since I am visual, but most graphics that I notice are just pictures that get in the way of the text and my reading. I think graphics that convey information are great.

I think about giving up with writing and text, at this point I am not going back to learn what is current or proper, then I think we are living in a text message world. My daughter can send me a message that I perfectly understand and not fully spell a single word in the message. It drives me nuts, but I am getting used to it. So my poor writing and formatting is head and shoulders above what this generation is doing, maybe I should hang on and wait for them.

For the record, you said italics was a horrible way to make a point. I find that interesting. I must be out of date on that too, it is one of the things I see in the classical success books that I like most and I copied it. When rereading I can scan the pages and quickly find the key points I am looking for.
    What do you suggest different?

thank you again,
    Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Leslie,
    Thank you for your reply. I think you and Don agree in some ways on the format. When you said Kindle book, I realized it is a Kindle format template that I used for it, I bought it from a best selling Kindle author.

You are right about Sean using big ebook giveaways. I think he used a 195 page ebook once. He teaches to put your best foot forward to make a good first impression. You may have heard his training where he talks about some giveaways not fitting to be printed on toilet paper or something like that.

There is some disagreement on giving away a bigger freebie. Some say that it will delay the purchase of anything since they will have to process it to decide they want more, but others say it establishes value, that if you give away this, then your material for sale must be phenomenal.

I have heard that the follow up emails can determine the pace of the first sale, “If you haven’t read the entire guide yet, but you have seen enough to know this is right for you, then get this audio you can play in the car, take with you and increase your progress and make it 10 times! faster” Things like that.

I will have to look over it with diagrams and charts in mind.

Cheat sheet is something to think about.

Thanks,
    Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH

Leslie Leftley
      Participant

Hi Scott,

I think you have answered your own question. Turn the giveaway into podcasts/audio format.

From what you have said, you are obviously a top notch speaker, so your voice must, at least, sound okay, and be easy to listen to, otherwise you would not have received all those top marks.

Your written work is better than the vast majority I have come across. I can clearly see that in the many comments you make. Don’t get tied up in unnecessary grammar. You are communicating ideas, and as long as those ideas are understood, then commas before or after “and” are just so much hogwash. I am not trying to put down grammar, without it our language would have no structure, but some of the more pernickety rules, especially within the online space are largely irrelevant.

But use your voice…audios and narrated videos…that is obviously your passion and should be the basis of your business, in my humble opinion.

Use your voice Scott..it is your gift.

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Scott, I’m enjoying your PDF. I sent you a message via the Life Coach Hub website. Can you check and see if you get that message, and reply to it? I’d love to send you a copy of your LM edited for clarity.

Thanks!

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Sounds good, I will be out of town a few days and then I can come back to this.

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar