Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Sending Traffic From One Of Your Websites To Others

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Sending Traffic From One Of Your Websites To Others

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Hogue 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Has anyone have any ideas or experience sending traffic from one website to others you own?

I suppose you could just post a link and a comment, but it looks like there would be a better way to use different websites to direct traffic.

Some of mine are similar, so they might have cross appeal.

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

• Author
    Replies

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

You have to be really careful with this sort of thing.

That’s because it has the hallmarks of a Private Blogging Network (PBN), which Google frowns upon.

I’m guessing that if you do it among a couple of sites, then you’re probably okay. Just don’t overdo it.

PBNs can be effective, but they’re expensive to set up, and you really have to know what you’re doing in order to avoid the Google Police.

Matthew Woodward has sold a course in the past that teaches you how to do this.

If you can find the three introductory videos online – they’re free – then that will give you a flavor for how to do it.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Suzanne Sukhram
    Participant

Scott,

One technique I have seen folks use is posting a relevant post from one blog to another, and highlighting the fact that it has been reposted from the other blog.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

You can have an offer on one site that you refer to from the other … Ditto with Suzanne … relevance is important.

Bruce, I didn’t know that Google frowned upon sending traffic to different websites that you own. I thought any movement of traffic was good for SEO. I just don’t understand how moving traffic around all your sites could ever create red flags for the Google police.

Could you explain further?

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

If I could explain all that Google does, Claire, I’d be a billionaire. LOL

The answer to this question lies in the realm of Search Engine Optimization (SEO).

SEO-ers are constantly looking for ways to get their websites to show up in the first couple of pages of search results.

One way seems to be to have a large number of links to your site. (You’ve probably heard in the past about people who exchanged links, bought or sold links, etc.)

Some SEO-ers have gone so far as to set up Private Blogging Networks, or PBNs.

The idea here is to invite a lot of people into a group, and then to link to each other so that the bevy of links propels them to the top of the search results.

Google sees this as an attempt to cheat the system. They want the sites at the top of the search results to get there because people are naturally linking to that content; not as the result of one or more people gaming the system to make it look like it.

So if you own several websites, and they’re likely to be with the same host, and you link back and forth among them, then it’s possible that Google will interpret that as a PBN.

Matthew Woodward did a few videos on this where he explained how to create a PBN.

His argument was that Google didn’t like them because they worked, and there’s probably some truth to that.

As we all know: Google wants to be in control.

According to Woodward, however, Google has discovered PBNs in the past because people created them in a way that attracted attention. They told others about them, for example.

He also created a course (now closed) on how to do it. I was tempted to sign up for it, but the financial outlay to set one up was more than I wanted to spend, and I didn’t want to put the time into it because it would mean getting distracted from what I really wanted to do.

This is the briefest of explanations, but I hope that it makes sense.

The bottom line is that it’s okay to do a certain amount of linking among your sites, but you have to be a little cautious so as to not give the impression that you’re trying to do something that Google disapproves of.

Bruce Hoag PhD

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thank you for that explanation, Bruce. You make it very clear and this is so helpful.

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

🙂 Claire

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize

Scott, I’m not sure what you mean by sending traffic?

I think that if a person is on one site and they might find something on another site, useful, sure send them.

But for any other reason than that . . . ??

Maybe I’m not clear what you mean by “sending traffic”

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Sean,
    Thanks for your response.

I have several websites that are on different topics. Even though they are different topics, there is easily some overlap in the interest of people as you teach in your training. I might be interested in gardening, but also in healthy diets for example. In your training I think I heard for an example you say Divorced men, Divorced women, pastors, millennials, all might be interested in finding purpose, meaning and spiritual direction in their lives.

You also said something like since some topics appeal to hundreds of millions of people you could advertise just about anywhere and hit those markets.

So the question is, how can I send traffic from one website, say the money website or the health website, to the coaching website? That way it would be like putting ads on other people’s websites, but for people that already know me and at no cost.

I could send emails on the money list that promote the health list and website, but people that come to the money site and didn’t take action, might actually find the health offer or website more of interest to them.

So the purpose is traffic and of course first to help them and then to sell them something that will help them in a deeper way and provide income to keep the message going by funding me.

I figure with your experience you can shed more light on how this might work.

Thanks!
    Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:

Malik Ahmad
    Participant

I am not exactly sure what you mean by sending traffic from some of your sites to one of your sites.

Let’s say for example you own a site about Christmas trees and you want to run a Christmas sale on that site. Your other sights are about deep root feeding of trees, pest control, and cleaning out the canopies.

You could go into your cpanel for your other sites and run redirects to the Christmas tree site. This will send all you other sites traffic to your money site.

PBN’S (private blog networks) are still very powerful for seo. You could set up your own or buy a rotation on someone else’s.

Caution: Google does frown on them (pbn’s) especially if they are not Google properties.

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
    The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

cpanel sounds like wordpress, so I am not sure what that means.

I remember a little about my failed wordpress days, but I am much better now… 😉

Even if I had one site that was about claw hammers and another one about motor sport racing, the same people that are interested in motor sport racing and the same people that use claw hammers eat meals. So, I could send them both to a site on good food and finding or making a decent meal. Poor example, but maybe you follow me.

I am saying out of a half dozen websites I have, there are different people going to each and not a lot of people that go to several and probably none that go to all.

What would be a good way to send people from one site to another?

I wouldn’t imagine it would cost me anything.

A banner ad, an offer, an article or content… just figured there were some good guidelines and ideas on it people have come up with.

I have to admit I am a bit of a rebel now. I don’t live my life too much in fear of Google. I do appreciate the information though. That is interesting and I probably need to now that for future projects.

I have heard Sean say something like, build your business to help people and not to game some system and when they change the system you will still be helping people.

Not knocking those that are doing SEO. Everyone has their own model and what works best for them. I just got burned out chasing page ranking and I have this colleague that has been banned from adwords so many times she has about had a nervous breakdown, her monthly income depends on adwords. She changes her sites to match their rules of the day, they are happy and she is back in. Then without doing anything different, they ban her ads again and give her a whole new set of hoops to jump through.

She tells me that her Google account rep at Google often has trouble figuring out why she got banned.

We have to move away from that in my humble opinion.

Thanks to all for the info!

Scott Hogue CChH

Malik Ahmad
      Participant

I guess I am also a rebel, I have a couple PBN’S that I operate. I didn’t want to offend those who are pure white hat people.

7 Figure Marketer Reveals...
      The Exact Blueprint He Used To Go From $0 Online To Millionaire Marketer In Just A Few Months! Get My FREE Guide.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I guess I am sort of stained and spotted hat…

Scott Hogue CChH

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar