Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

Strategies Versus Tactics

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Strategies Versus Tactics

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Hogue 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Yvonne A. Jones originally asked this, I moved it and goofed up the thread . . .so here it is again:

Strategies Versus Tactics

This is what she wrote:

Question: Strategies are much more valuable than tactics. Yet you need both. How much time do you spend creating strategies, or a specific strategy for your online business compared with tactics?– Yvonne A. Jones

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

• Author
    Replies

Yvonne, please explain the difference between strategies and tactics. I guess I could be behind in my Sean trainings…

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Sean, I love the word, preneur!

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

In the management literature, strategy generally refers to longer term plans, and tactics to the short-term tweaking to get you there.

That said, there’s also no agreed definition of strategy.

It really depends on who you ask.

Rather than get caught up in the jargon, recognize that there are two types of activities: One consists of things you do for the “distant” future, and the other that you’re doing now to make that future possible.

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Strategies you think up, for tactics you roll your sleeves up….

In general terms:

Strategies are your grand plan. Think of them as your recipe to create what you want. Your “Power Point Presentation” to success.
    Strategies are composed of steps.

Tactics (from same root as tactile for touch in general or hands on) are the tasks that carry out your grand plan.
    Tactics are composed of tasks.

So you have thought work and physical work.

I could beat a dead horse more, but it is getting late in the day for beating dead horses.

(Beating a dead horse is a tactic, figuring out what to do when it doesn’t help you reach your goals is strategic thinking)

No real horses were hurt in this illustration,

Scott Hogue CChH (The Strategic Life Coach)

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Don Sturgill
    Participant

I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent sitting in meetings listening to team members debate the definitions for vision, strategies, tactics, goals, and God knows what else. I’ve seen it come close to blows over “how” vs “what.” You can’t have much more fun than that 🙂

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Great discussion!

Personally, I spend much more time on developing strategy than tactics.

Because if you have a crystal clear strategy, the tactics emerge quickly.

They become no-brainers, it’s like, ok, what’s the easiest way to implement that strategy?

So the tactic emerges.

Then of course the next step is the implementation of the tactics 🙂

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi Sean,

I just placed this comment (see below) in the “Accountability” question asked section. This is a small group but already I have noticed several people suggesting breaking off to form Masterminds groups etc etc. I just want to know how you stand as I don’t think the reason for setting up this group is well served by splintering. The comments are all well meaning and should NEVER be stifled but they do concern me.

Hi Don and all other contributors,

The title of this thread (Accountability) is indeed important, indeed essential for everyone, especially procrastinators like me. But this group has literally only just become a reality and we are already discussing sub groups, Facebook groups. Mastermind groups.

One of the reasons I joined this group was to avoid the Facebook type group, which always get out of hand, with a few experts being stretched to the limits by greedy and needy people unwilling to learn for themselves.

I also believe that this community is far too small to start splintering into more advanced mastermind groups. I for one am a novice and with little to offer practically to those already, at least, partially successful with their online endeavours. I, for one, would quickly become disheartened. I need to knuckle down, make a solid start and be accountable for someone or a number of people for my ongoing, positive progress. There is room for all levels to interact, so please let’s NOT extricate the more expert among us just to form a clique within the more meaningful whole.

Now please don’t think I am some kind of killjoy. I applaud the group getting together, discussing things openly. But please don’t start to form sub groups, at least not for a while. I honestly do not think it is withing the spirit of the community as, I believe, Sean sees it.

Come on guys this is a small enough community for us not to start going off on Skype or forming FB groups. By all means network for personal or mutual benefits, but if those private arrangements are purely of benefit to the two, or more, involved then these should really become an external matter, because they then become “private” business arrangement separate from the core reason for this community.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

This can be a ‘mastermind’ group, Leslie, depending on how it is set up and used. The important thing for accountability is the agreement to meet somewhere regularly.

Leslie Leftley
      Participant

In that case Don let all groups “Mastermind” or other meet openly in here. At least then, mere mortals, like me, could pick up pointers for the future. Openness within the community is paramount, (that again is purely my opinion), but otherwise, surely it loses its cohesion, becomes disparate and eh sense of community quickly declines.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

I’m fine with that, Leslie. All we need is a place and a plan.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Lesley, I don’t see the two as being mutually exclusive.

I believe that all of us will remain active in this group even if we join others.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Jan Sandhouse Hurst
    Participant

Not sure how accountability ended up here — but Don, I think you can have accountability without meeting. Simply stating your intention to the group and then posting your actions can be accountability. And for masterminding, I plan to start a thread if I have a particular need. Maybe there is a way to convene group calls and then post a recording so everyone can benefit. That’s one of the things I like about skype–it’s easy to connect in multiple ways.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

In my case, Jan, I’d feel more accountable if someone actually asked me what I did, especially if I’d stated that I would do something.

The thing about a mastermind group is its intimacy.

When it’s small, people tend to be more open.

One reason is that they’re not having to read through the posts of 20 other people.

There’s only a handful of them, and so everyone can reveal more and more of themselves.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I feel the same way Bruce for me personally.

Others may differ.

Scott Hogue CChH

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar