Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

What do you think about the organization on the Member Access Page?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything What do you think about the organization on the Member Access Page?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

As you know, I’m totally stoked about today’s progress . . .

my big goal today was 3 fold:

Get 1000 trainings into the IM Library component of this Community
    Get some checklist/accountability component into place
    Get a user-contributed articles/blog section up . . .

Well, so far we’re at 400 trainings

Making progress on the checklist/accountability component but not 100% yet

And the articles/blog section might have to wait, depends on how much energy I can muster this afternoon!

For those of you watching me do this, these last 2 weeks – you are seeing something rarely seen before – it’s like you get to see inside the guts and nitty-gritty of getting something new going . . .

Anyhow, I would love your feedback and 2 things (and you can’t hurt or offend me fire away)

What do you like BEST about the Core Access Page?

What do you like LEAST about it?

What is the #1 thing I could add to make it much better?

Thanks, and thanks!

I’m still working on the other components, and will truly enjoy your feedback on this so it can be the BEST!

Thanks

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

2 users thanked author for this post.
  • Author
    Replies

Scott Hogue
    Participant

FYI

May be me, but the page 2,3,4 ect returns page not found.

Just FYI, it may be in the middle of the process…

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Sean Mize
      Keymaster

Scott, great eye and great sleuthing! I appreciate it!

Sean

Do you want to learn how to start a coaching program that stabilizes your income and changes lives? If so, visit http://www.AnyoneCanCoach.com

Sean

Dana Cassell
    Participant

What I like best is that everything appears to be accessible from the one page – but that gives it almost a hodge-podge feel. Skimming works fine for now, but I wonder if it will become too time-consuming or frustrating when all 1,000 trainings plus other assets get added. That said, the drop-down helps immensely. Perhaps drop-downs for other sections as it builds out? You probably already have something like that planned. I have a similar situation on my own membership site, where I link to pages by subject, noting which resources are on each linked page, and have been wondering how I can make it better as it gets lengthier – so will watch your buildout with special interest, Sean.

Almost forgot to mention – I especially like the Direct Link to Ask Anything Forum – and use it first every visit.

Need anything written or edited?
    Writers-Editors Network
    is the place to go for editorial help from professional writers and editors

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Dana

you are so right . . .

and as I add more content, I’ll continue to shortcut to things like drop downs or access pages . . .

and have personally struggled with the dilemma of letting folks get to things with as few clicks as possible –

versus the chopped up look and feel . . .

Thanks!

Sean

Sean

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

I prefer dropdown menus with related items group under topics.

The way it is right now, I do a word search on the page, and then evaluate all of the trainings that pertain to it. That approach is still doable, but it means that I can’t see everything together.

Bruce Hoag PhD
      The Internet Marketing Psychologist
      The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

Scott Hogue
    Participant

I second the thanks on the direct link to Ask Anything!

Very helpful.

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Lots there.

It’ll take some time to read through all of it.

One question: Will there be things that came with the software, that will be visible to us, but have no function?

I’m thinking in particular of the table of users at the bottom. The third column doesn’t appear to do anything.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean Mize
      Keymaster

Bruce

some components are still in testing or beta and not fully released ๐Ÿ™‚

Sean

Sean

1 user thanked author for this post.

Roger Rakestraw
    Participant

Thank you so much Sean! This site is really coming together with all the information available.

What do you like BEST about the Core Access Page?

What do you like LEAST about it?

What is the #1 thing I could add to make it much better?

My favorite thing about the Core Access Page is that Everything is available on one page, which is what causes my “least favorite” thing at the moment, which is that the page looks very crowded… but with good reason, so I prefer to live with that.

As far as the #1 thing to add, I’m thinking maybe some very broad catagories with links to the individual trainings, but leave the individual trainings the way they are also, for the time being.

Something that might add some activity and encourage comments, friendships, groups, etc… would be to have the site send messages out, maybe once a day, or twice a week (or set it up so we can choose frequency) to be notified of requests, comments, etc…

Just my .02 worth.

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi Sean,

Pages maybe under construction, but I now appear to be permanently logged in.

I tried logging out, and then I was presented with a login page..which tells me to “login below”..but there is nothing “below” to log back in.

So I clicked On Pal Core Access and got straight back in again.

I tried this 3 or 4 times with the same results.

Leslie Leftley
    Participant

Hi again Sean.

This is the exact message I have been getting (see my comment above):

Login

But there is nothing below as I stated before??

Sean Mize
      Keymaster

Leslie,

some components are still not working correctly, but we’ll be there soon hopefully!

Sean

Sean

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Whenever I start to scroll to the bottom of the page, I keep wishing for a link that the top that would do the job for me.

But I hate suggesting that you add more things to your list of tasks.

It’s not like you don’t have anything else to do. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bruce Hoag PhD

Sean, I love how you are giving us so many reasons to login to PreneurPal everyday. Everything’s here! The newspaper layout that you love so much does seem a little crowded, but I favor the abundance of information over a spacious layout, any day. Thank you for all the time you are spending on this… it must have taken quite a while to post 400 trainings!

I have always noticed the direct link to the Ask Anything Forum, but have never used it. I’m always clicking on the Pal Core Access… but now I’ll have to try out that direct link since everyone’s raving about it. I noticed you’ve already attended to the login page… everything’s coming along nicely!

I do think it is very important to showcase the forums as you have done so that no one forgets to participate in the community.

♥ Coach Claire

NichirenBuddhistShaman.com

Discover the joy in every situation...

FREE full reading of your choice - for members only!

Norma Allen
    Participant

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Oh, dear. Where do I start?

Sean, you asked and you’re getting my honest opinion.

• The Good is that there is a ton of useful information.
    • The Bad is that the overall impression from the page is that it’s crowded, chaotic, and hard to understand.
    • The Ugly – please refer to the Bad.

I am hopeful, though. My observation is that the site is becoming more aesthetically pleasing as new features are being added.

This has resulted in easier navigation and a better end user experience. If we could just organize that
    Core Access Page… it would be an improvement from my point of view.

There are far too many columns. Also, the training content and forum links should be separated and more clearly identified.

Sean, I do appreciate all you do! ๐Ÿ™‚

Norma Esler

Inspiration for Your Best Year Ever!

I have to second Norma. I love that there is so much information available via the Core Access Page. However….As someone who struggles with Attention Deficit Disorder, though, it’s almost too much for me. I get frustrated because I want to look at everything at once, and don’t know where to start to keep me goal-focused and on-task. Now, keep in mind, this is why I joined (and continue to value) your step-by-step training, which I am still using. Not everyone may have this issue.

I guess I have to appreciate that a membership site is different than a coaching program, per se. But I still think it’s kind of information overload upon logging in. Conversely… I can’t wait to dive into all that material! LOL

I think personally it would make a lot more sense to me if it had folders/subfolders. Like:
    How to come up with niche ideas
    >Identifying profitable niches
    Copywriting
    >Writing emails
    Designing Products
    >Coming up with ideas
    Traffic
    >Finding/identifying your audience

etc…

I Use Reviews
    Where I Only Review Internet Marketing Products and Programs
    I Actually Use, Or Have Used
    Visit My YouTube Channel!
    Follow Me on Twitter @IUseReviews

Tina Fletcher
    Participant

Lots to look at, love it!!! Would love to be able to tag people especially when you are reply to there comment or would like their feedback

All things Digital
    For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
    For Services https://digitalmia.com/

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Ok, folks, I hear you loud and clear . . .

so organization and orderly step by step with much less clutter is the next order of business!!!

Sean

Sean

5 users thanked author for this post.

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Might Have To….

Sean,
    I like the course where you link one page with lessons to another page with lessons and you can navigate forward and backward with the links and the content links are on each page.

I might have to steal that framework…

Scott Hogue CChH

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

So much easier

Hi Sean,

I really like the new layout.

I can view the entire page with a quick scroll, like topics are grouped together, and the dropdown menu enables me to find everything else easily.

Thank you so much for working so hard on this!

Bruce Hoag PhD

Tina Fletcher
    Participant

I agree with Bruce new layout makes it easier to take action. Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚

All things Digital
    For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
    For Services https://digitalmia.com/

I noticed a big difference when I came back today…much easier to navigate! I don’t feel so “lost” anymore. Looks great!

I Use Reviews
    Where I Only Review Internet Marketing Products and Programs
    I Actually Use, Or Have Used
    Visit My YouTube Channel!
    Follow Me on Twitter @IUseReviews

Susan Parnaby
    Participant

It is interesting how different people see things. I like organisation so all the books in my bookcases are organised by topic. I have boxes of things that are kept like with like and often labeled so I can find them. One room contains this sort of thing so my back bedroom is the stationery storage area as also has the spare cables I have gathered. It upsets my mother looking in there as she thinks it is untidy yet I think it is organised because I can find things in there.

It does not matter to me if what I want is in a box in a box under the bed and it takes a bit of time to actually get at it. The space is organised so that I can get at what I will need at a later date. That to me is the equivalent of having a menu item that when you click on it opens into a nested menu. I like things neatly in menus that take me to sections. I hate things piled up one thing on another that I cannot find an easy and neat pathway to.

Years ago when I did a Multimedia Application course at the University of Teesside some of the assignments involved creating websites. Part of the assignment was to produce a plan for the site. We then did a site with a few test pages to show how it would work in practice. The first section of the plan was about the target audience and their needs. Where they old or young? Did they have any needs in terms of accessibility? After that, there were three sections that we could cover in any order.

The design section described the appearance of the site. Where were the menus going to go? What colours were you going to use? This was so long ago we had to use websafe colours. Would white with pink accents suit them better than a black background and white text? What sort of style and feel suited the audience? Sturdy cars? Fluffy rabbits? I got quite proficient in using the drawing tools in Word to create diagrams to show the colours and the layout of the site. We were using Dreamweaver as WordPress was being birthed at that time. We had to set all this up ourselves, thankfully using a visual editor rather than hand coding.

The content section was all about what are you going to include to get your message across. So what does your audience want? What images or text will you include? What are the essential pages on the site? Where was the content going to come from? Bear in mind the aim of the course was to prepare people to build websites for other people and you would need their help to develop the content. How are you going to justify to your tutor why you included some things and not others?

The navigation section of a simple website was not a lot more than the content section. However, once it became more than just a handful of pages it became increasingly complicated. The idea was to set up links and pathways to make it as easy as possible to move from one page to another. Bear in mind that this was pre-WordPress so we could have a number of separate menus on the site. The site would be split into areas and each one had links to the other areas we thought were relevant, as well to the content within that area. Another reason why we became quite proficient with the drawing tools in Word.

I must admit I have got rather lazy now and carry all these things in my head rather than writing them down. I still start with the design or these days the theme and adjusting the theme to suit my aims and intentions. After that comes the content. Often it is a bit of content and then some navigation and back to content. I still find it useful to look at a website from each of those perspectives.

The fact that we were able to set things up so everything could be accessible using 3 clicks made it easier. Trying to pare that down to 1 or 2 clicks makes developing a navigation plan so much harder. We did not have access to accordion boxes that we could set up to take people to a section or to a page within that section. The idea of a feature box with a symbol to help guide us to different sections was unknown. We had no video no audio and images were supposed to be kept to under 10k. We did not have courseware plugins that would set up lessons in a series that added go back and go forwards buttons to a series of units.

I am not sure if all this progress has made it easier or harder to design and build a website. It does strike me though if you are working towards building a large platform that having some kind of plan to work towards is extremely useful and that looking at a website from those four directions makes a lot of sense.

For someone like me who likes things stowed into sections with clearly distinguishable boundaries this site although it has improved still has some way to go. How do you create boundaries? You can use borders or different coloured backgrounds to make it easier to tell where one section starts and another ends. You can separate things onto different pages.

P.S. What happened to the constraint of having as much as possible above the fold?

P.P.S. Ever thought that pleasing all of the people all of the time or getting something right from more than one perspective at once is virtually impossible.

God's Lily is "a voice for those frustrated by the slow progress towards a fair society where the needs of the weakest are met in a way that it strengthens them rather than weakens them further" . If that includes you then hop on over and have a look around. If you like what you see it would be a good idea to sign up to receive our blog broadcasts. Oh and you will get a couple of pdf files that explain the what and why behind the site when

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

As I understand it, having content above-the-fold is only important for marketing material.

In a forum, everyone is here because they want to be, and in this one is also paying for the privilege. And so we’re likely to consume the content wherever it’s found.

Bruce Hoag PhD

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar