Preneurs Helping Preneurs Get Noticed

What held you back today?

Home Page Forums Ask Anything What held you back today?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Hoag 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

I’m assuming that you’re reading this at the end of your day, because you just spent the hours before working on what was most important. 😉

If you didn’t achieve your primary goal, then what happened?

What held you back?

And, has this been a problem before?

Bruce Hoag PhD
    The Internet Marketing Psychologist
    The Mindful Writer - for deep and persuasive copy

• Author
    Replies

Tina Fletcher
    Participant

Today what held my back was I am writing my content for my website and I am still not 100% happy with it, but I realized I was trying to make it “perfect” again so I have left it as is and tomorrow I will move onto completing the rest of the site.

All things Digital
    For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
    For Services https://digitalmia.com/

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bruce Hoag
    Participant

Good girl, Tina.

A friend of mine (from academia) has written or been involved with more than 100 books. Last I heard, there were also more than 400 peer-reviewed journals articles in which he had a greater or lesser part.

That’s about one publication per month for 30+ years – a remarkable achievement.

He told me one time that the best way to write a book was to “outline the whole thing and then fill it up.”

That’s the way to write your content.

Outline it. Then add subtopics, and topics to your subtopics, and bits of info here and there.

Fill it up and then, if you need to, string it together.

Then set it aside until your fresh, probably the next day.

Read through it and make minor corrections.

If you’ve done the outlining part right, that’s all you’ll have to do.

And read it out loud so that you get the rhythm of the language.

Unless there’s some glaring error or omission, you’re finished, whether you think so or not.

I find that I write faster if I do the research during a less productive time of day, and the actual writing when I’m fresh.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Tina Fletcher
    Participant

Thanks Cool Bruce I do that also for ebook, article and content writing your friend is so right that plan is awesome. Sean shows the same thing and yes without you go round and round in circle. That I can do, but sometimes when writing copy I tend to forget that so I will try doing that today and see if it makes it easier. Keep you posted 🙂

All things Digital
    For Training https://www.onlinenowtraining.com/
    For Services https://digitalmia.com/

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

To do the outline, you have to know the end from the beginning.

I usually don’t.

So I do what Julia Cameron referred to as stream-of-conscious writing.

Usually, I get lost at some point.

Then I go back and outline what I’ve written, and then I can usually see what I have to do next.

Sometimes it’s just a couple sentences.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Scott Hogue
    Participant

Do you have days like this?

I did work on the business today. Would have done more, but the cat took sick and had to be put to sleep. It was the wife’s cat, so that required care and attention, then the grandson took sick at school so in the middle of that we had to go get him, had to go by the clinic and get his medicine.

Hadn’t seen my daughter for her birthday, so I dropped off some presents while I was there. All while working in the offline business.

You can’t make this stuff up.

It is something every day it seems.

I couldn’t sleep and got up at 3:30 am or I wouldn’t have got anything done on the online business.

It seems life is one urgency to another these days. I think about everyone is that way. I have surgery in a week, so I have to get ahead somehow for that. I guess I will sleep when they knock me out.

If anyone figures out how to put life on hold, let me know. It is a universal problem.

The thing is when you have a job, your boss or the company can be the bad guy and say you can’t drop everything and come jump start the car or take the grandson to ball practice.

Whew,

Scott Hogue CChH
    Follow me in the "Use What You Learn Challenge" as I create a website using what I learn from Sean that is a Platform for my niche:
    http://www.threestepstowealth.com

The thread on this group that explains it:
    http://preneurpal.com/forums/topic/own-the-game-and-win-it/#post-1747

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

Wow, Scott.

In the UK, we say that things come in threes. For you, they seem to come in tens.

Sean will tell you that he went through a period when he could only work on his business for an hour or two a day. (I think that this went on for several months.)

He wasn’t at home, either.

And during that time, he learned what mattered most to keep his business going.

I think at most he worked about 15 hours a week, and sometimes much less; but he discovered that much of what he was doing before didn’t matter.

I’m sure that you’ve thought long and hard about what can be left out.

Maybe you need to outsource more.

Think about what you do that requires your expertise.

Do that which no one else can do, and outsource everything else.

Bruce Hoag PhD

Bob Moore
    Participant

Email, email, email. I’m working on it. I think it’s an irrational fear that I may miss the next big thing. I know it’s not out there.

Truth be told, I do spend time on my business, but not as much as I should each day.

I know that’s a problem and something I need to rectify. But I’m getting better 🙂

I guess being a teacher, my natural inclination is to be a life-long learner. I know that’s an excuse.

It’s time to start purging my list. I know, I know. . .

Unlock the key to earning thousands per day. Leads, sales, and profits await. Click here.

Bruce Hoag
      Participant

Here’s a question for you, Bob: What big thing do you expect to see in your inbox?

Given what you know and the various things that you’ve been pursuing, what’s out there that you think will find its way into your inbox?

Articulate it.

Bruce Hoag PhD

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar